Upload Custom Materials in the New Material Service Beta

We don’t have a timeline to share at this time. There are a couple things we want to release in this beta–most notably per-part custom variants–and assess feedback before looking at a release to client. We need flexibility to make significant changes to address your feedback, which is why we’ve kept this Studio-only!

9 Likes

Hey guys. I wondering if it’s possible to do this but for our custom textures:
topgrass
wallgrass
Both images are the same block of grass terrain but from different perspectives. Most default terrains like this one have multiple textures on them. In this case, one of the textures is the grassy part on top of the block and the other is the dirt texture on the sides of the block. However, when I use a custom texture, the same texture is used on the “top” and “side” parts of the terrain.

It looks so bad XD

In this image with the default textures, it looks real because there are 2 different textures on the “top” parts and on the “side” parts of the terrain. I was wondering if this is possible on custom terrain too.

16 Likes

Okay yeah I managed to get materialservice broken :frowning: https://gyazo.com/ca98dc665853bf49db454a96c0d06514

How to reproduce:
Put your custom materials
Change 1 material to a another texture
Undo alot of time’s
Bug for material.rbxl (1.5 MB)

1 Like

The old style studs absolutely are segmented, if you look at how the image that you gave tiles:

This is using a fairly standard wrapping move, available in most competent image editors (i.e. RealWorld Paint). It’s extremely easy to make tiling textures using it, and also extremely easy to spot badly-tiling textures.

7 Likes

It would be great if we could override terrain materials even if the MaterialVariant is based on another material. Currently, it’s impossible to have 2 materials that are based on the same base material. For example, I wanted to recreate old roblox terrain by making all the materials use concrete as their base, so that they would look blocky and voxel-y, but that can’t be done currently.

3 Likes

I think an option to distance the “smooth shading” it has for that terrain type should assist with that.

1 Like

This is really great news, I was getting quite a few unintended seams between parts due to this during the first beta :smile:

However, are there any plans for the MaterialVarient to follow the pre-programmed random texture offset in the material it’s replacing?

An amazing example is the WoodPlanks material. Its random offsets will always be floored, that way the visual effect of 1 stud = 1 plank width is always preserved, while still maintaining a random offset to break up uniformity.

To sum up, are there any plans for a more intuitive random texture offset on a by-material (or fully customizable) basis in the future? Thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

12 Likes

We aware of this issue and it will be fixed soon. Thank you for reaching out!

3 Likes

Really good for horror games

13 Likes

Can someone explain to me how the old materials will be preserved once this rolls out? The old materials don’t use conventional maps so I’m not sure how they’d be maintained.

2 Likes

Had the time today to create my own “Lava” texture using nodes in Blender!
This feature is absolutely awesome, can’t wait It’s fully released for servers!

Thank you, DevRel! :purple_heart:

22 Likes

Custom terrain materials are disabled now. Will be back when issues are solved. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Good news: per-part custom variant is coming to beta soon™. Stay tuned.

17 Likes

YEEES OMG i was waiting forthis anounce

4 Likes

We just need material animation now and this update would be perfect!

5 Likes

How did you do that? I didn’t realize it possible.

2 Likes

This is exactly what I’ve been waiting for. Do you know when it will be visible in-game, outside of studio?

3 Likes

Is saving still not a thing? When I leave and rejoin studio, the variant and stuff is all still there, but my parts are just smooth plastic looking?

4 Likes

Am I able to somehow reenable it myself? I’m not bothered by what issues it has, and would like to keep using it.

1 Like

Can’t wait for this to be fully released.

6 Likes

It was removed because things need to be solved.

2 Likes