Upload Custom Materials in the New Material Service Beta

I really feel that the 1024x1024 is a big limitation, it’s very difficult to make decent/crisp textures on ROBLOX. This problem is exasperated with ROBLOX image compression. ROBLOX should really increase the limit to 1280x1280 or 1440x1440 and rectify the considerable loss of quality with image compression.

Those resolutions will make little difference, also it’s an incredibly unusual pixel count. 2048x2048 would be a much more noticeably detailed map size though it will put a strain on Roblox’s servers and loading times.

1 Like

I agree, I was thinking of 2048x2048 originally. But for optimization related reasons it could be problematic. But 2048x2048 would be far more ideal. Pretty unusual to be limited to 1024x1024 textures in 2022.

roblox servers would be strained, yes but that is only when loading the game, otherwise there are way worse things that could happen than just textures to loading times. also ram usually can keep stuff like that in it for a longer time which would make only first time loading fast. if the ram doesnt have it you have stuff like optane might not be a real fix but still doubling the texture fidelity could also be something that loads overtime ingame (starts with 512 then slowly goes to 1k then 2k unless it notices lag)

Roblox doesn’t work like that. The server streams data to the client which is then stored temporarily until the user leaves the game. Loading times do not become faster when joining the same game multiple times. Plus, games that use Material Service already has trouble loading textures, which prevent assets like the skybox, textures, and objects from loading.

wish it kind of was more like that, although i have yet to have loading issues in any game yet.

It’s very simple. All you have to do is union them.

Unions causes tiles to become misaligned and there’s no control. Unions are also incredibly unstable in regards to performance and collision detection. Not a real fix

1 Like

I would love the ability to make Emissive Maps & Height Maps

4 Likes

I cannot stress how much I want these features.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t Normal Maps and Height Maps the same thing?

I believe so, think hes talking about displacement maps

Height maps can be used for things like displacement like what Silly said, but for now i can stick with pre displacement in blender

Height maps by themselves don’t add much to the game by themselves. What you’re talking about is Parallax Occlusion which gives the illusion of depth on an otherwise flat surface.

I noticed that you can make certain parts have terrain materials, without enabling 2022 materials:

(Left, lighter part = Slate | Right, darker part = ‘Rock’ | Stood on terrain for texture reference)

These textures also appear in-game.

Unfortunately, I noticed that this is not the case with some textures, Cobblestone for example:

Is it possible to make Cobblestone have its terrain texture, without enabling 2022 materials?

I ask this as it would make building this road I’m making a lot easier.

Thanks!

1 Like

Yup, thru the materials documentation

Care to elaborate?

I don’t get it.

1 Like

They might’ve been talking about this: Materials | Roblox Creator Documentation

What about water? Trying to use the feature for the 1st time, and I can’t seem to find it.

Maybe I’m being stupid?

2 Likes

Water, unfortunately, still isn’t editable, or useable on parts. Hoping support will be added soon, but I doubt it will happen.

3 Likes