Upload Images via Open Cloud API

The Asset Manager → Bulk Import tool has made life a lot easier. Today, we are able to manually upload hundreds of images quite easily. However, it would be great if we could [create tools to] automate this end-to-end.

Current Difficulties

• Have to manually select every image I want to upload on file system
  • Not easy to get a list of every asset id which was just uploaded (I have a piece of JavaScript which scrapes the website after I upload in order to get every asset name/asset id which was uploaded)
  • When images fail to upload, it is NOT EASY to remember which ones failed so that I can re-upload. I created a tool to aid in this process. Especially on scale of uploading 100-200+ images…
  • When image names get moderated, it is simply renamed “Image” and so it becomes quite IMPOSSIBLE to ever associate these back to their true intended name. (Often times they become moderated for some silly reason. Especially when uploading mesh textures… it can be near impossible to figure out which is which)
  • When image itself is moderated, … luckily I don’t run into this… but I don’t know how I would know which out of thousands of images was moderated.

Proposal

• Following in the new theme Open Cloud APIs…
  • An API to upload image directly to website, which will return whether or not the name was moderated, etc. Some good error codes so I can handle re-tries, or at least still associate id… the name on website will no longer matter since I can associate the id with raw metadata behind the scenes.
  • Perhaps an API to fetch info on image (whether it was moderated, etc.)

What this Enables

• An end-to-end image uploading pipeline for games which generate/use lots of textures (like Jailbreak). This would cut down hours of my time over months.
39 Likes

good news is that we’re working on adding more apis to be supported via Open Cloud, including asset upload…stay tuned.

as for retrieving image info, we’ll have to follow up with that.

13 Likes

Any updates on this? I conceptualized a couple of tooling projects that got shut down because there was no upload image API.

2 Likes