Uploading MeshParts under 100 triangles will crash ROBLOX Studio

When working on a commission today, I encountered an issue where I could not get a simple star mesh to upload to Studio without crashing. Remaking the model, renaming it, warping it, all of the normal solutions did not fix the issue.

Eventually, through means of troubleshooting with @JohnDrinkin, we have deduced that currently, all MeshParts under 100 triangles will crash ROBLOX Studio. This is a debilitating error as simple MeshParts are vital in game assets such as car lights or trim material.

Here are four MeshParts that can be used to replicate the error:

Planes

One triangle was removed to pull the triangle count under 1.
Plane99.fbx (12.5 KB) :x:
Plane100.fbx (12.5 KB) :white_check_mark:

Cylinders

25 vertices cylinder vs 26 vertices cylinder
Cylinder96.fbx (23.1 KB) :x:
Cylinder100.fbx (23.1 KB) :white_check_mark:

16 Likes

Good find, having a similar issue here too.

1 Like

Did you export the model as a (fbx) file? first before loading it into roblox studio.

Just tested this out with a 16 tri .fbx cylinder I had previously uploaded awhile back. It uploaded fine back then, but it leads to a crash now.

Can confirm with my own low poly assets.

As a note for people that have an urgent model encountering this issue; add fluff geometry to get your model just above 100 triangles, and scale it down so it is microscopic inside the model.

https://i.gyazo.com/3ccec066aedb8f33e8000f9fdae8a4e2.mp4

1 Like

The models were exported as .fbx directly from Blender; the issue is also replicated when using .obj.

The models provided for download in the post were specifically created to debug the observed issue.

Hi guys, I am having the same issue as well, just been trying to import a simple mesh I have made into studio and then it crashes after a few seconds. I don’t know if this issue is something that has risen quite recently because I have been making simple meshes for a few weeks, and it is only today I am encountering these problems.

Can confirm with my assets as well.
I’m trying to import a low rock with about 80 tris.

It worked all fine yesterday.
I have reinstalled Studio, restarted my network and restarted my PC - it didn’t fix anything.

edit: I just tried to import a mesh with around 1k tris. Studio crashed once again.

1 Like

Hi Yacti, seems like you are having the same issue. This problem has only started today, so I don’t exactly know why this has suddenly happened.

1 Like

I’m getting this problem as well. I’ve tested every way of uploading I can think of and here’s the results:

Environment Uploading via MeshPart Uploading via Game window
Team Create crash crash
Published crash crash
Not Published crash N/A

Using this mesh:

test export less than 100 poly 2.obj (3.0 KB)

If standalone versions have this problem e.g. FIB builds, or this problem persists, I won’t be able to make my deadlines.

Thank you for reporting the issue. We are sorry for the inconvenience it may have caused. We have turned off the changes that caused the crash. Please restart Studio and let us know if you if are still seeing the issue.

12 Likes