[Urgent] Memory leak coming from nowhere?

One of my games ia lagging very terribly and I assume it’s from a memory leak. This is a reasonable assumption as you can see from the stats below provided by the roblox developer console:

I’ve spent the past few hours trying to find exactly what script was causing this and I just couldn’t find it at all. I ended up removing EVERY SINGLE SCRIPT inside my game, local scripts, server scripts, even module scripts, and the stats remained the same along with the existence of massive lag.
34%20PM

I even reverted back to versions spanning from many days ago to years ago that never had a problem like this but all of those are now lagging just as bad and contain the same extremely large numbers in the dev console for client memory usage.

This is very frustrating and is ruining the activity on this pretty popular game, anyone with ideas to please let me know what you have in mind.

4 Likes

If your game is still experiencing these issues with all of the scripts removed, then your map geometry may be the issue.

Look into all of your MeshParts and modify the CollisionFidelity, it’s possible that they are all colliding with each other. It’s possible you have a ton of unanchored MeshParts with CollisionFidelity set to Default. Try looking into making these Anchored (if they can be), and changing CollisionFidelity to either Default or Box (also where you can do so).

https://developer.roblox.com/en-us/api-reference/enum/CollisionFidelity

2 Likes

A little addition to what Usering said, if you specifically have any Plane MeshParts then that might be the reason

It’s not a problem with the map geometry, I’ve deleted all terrain and all parts. I have a single part 100x1x100 at spawn and that is it. Memory is still off the roof and lag is unbearable.

This seems like it may be an issue with your computer. It could be an out of date graphics driver, program taking up too much CPU or just Roblox not running correctly. Have you tried restarting your computer, or even reinstalling Roblox?

Anyone who joins tells me that they are lagging very badly so it’s definitely not an issue with my computer.

I’ve experienced this myself with the Client Memory in the Dev Console and still hasn’t been fixed. Try joining other games and see if all of them have out-of-place numbers. These are not the actual values of your memory, it’ll have to be something else causing your lag. Here’s my bug report from earlier this year that has yet to receive a staff reply :confused: .

1 Like

Thank you for telling me about the innacuracy of the dev console, but I still have no idea what to do about the lag. After further testing I had one case where an empty baseplate was lagging but a terrain floor with some parts and scripts wasn’t lagging. I don’t know if it has to do with player count or something but I still don’t know where to go from here.

Based on what you’ve provided, I believe this may be the cause of a malicious script. Try using one of those ‘virus’ scanners like Kronos or GameTree (the first two that happened to appear when I searched) to check the place that’s lagging severely. In addition, examine your plugins to see if any of them are fake or duplicates of real ones.

While you did state that you’ve removed all of the scripts in your game, if there’s any that you missed that are using pcall - this might be cause : Protected Calls causing memory leak

1 Like

it could be a plugin that may cause it yknow a badly scripted plugin