Usage of DisplayPort causes Roblox Studio to malfunction for this setup

Using a Display Port cable causes Roblox Studio to perform extremely bad, making it unable to use. Switch to HDMI and everything works normal.

I submitted this bug before, via the ‘standard’ route of Roblox support, it took about 30 emails then before it was fixed. It was passed to the engineering team, and for a brief period it was fixed, however, it has returned.

A brief summary of the bug
I noticed the bug when I bought a new monitor. A 1440p/144hz monitor. Because HDMI does not support these rates, I use DisplayPort. However, I found out that Roblox Studio does not like DisplayPort for some reason, because opening Studio on this monitor the performance is atrocious, unusable. Also, the MicroProfiler complete maxes out. Switching out the DisplayPort cable for an HDMI cable fixes everything.

A video of the bug ‘in action’: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu1CJ-bMuHE&feature=youtu.be

Additional information
Using old beta versions perform fine. If I recall correctly, the Future-is-bright V4 performed normally. I’d need to double check to be sure though.
I’m unsure if the problem is DisplayPort on it’s own, or a combination of DisplayPort and other hardware, or DisplayPort and 144hz monitors, as I do not possess other DisplayPort monitors.

I did try locking my monitor to 60hz, and at 30hz, but the problem still persists.
In the past I pretty much tried everything trying to figure the source of the problem, but it all pointed to the display port cable.

A few things I have tried, which had no effect:

• Reinstalling Roblox
  • turning off g-sync
  • lowering the resolution
  • lowering refresh rate
  • updating all drivers
  • beta versions off studio

My other monitor, which is 144hz as well works fine. But that one runs on DVI-D.

As I mentioned before, the problem has been fixed in the past, but it may have been accidentally overwritten in a new update.

PC Specs:
NVidia GTX1070 (GigaByte edition)
Intel i7-2700k OC’d @4.5GHz
Corsair 8GB DDR3 RAM @1300hz
Install Drive: Samsung 128GB SSD
Windows 10
Monitor 1 (which lags, DisplayPort connection)
Acer Predator XB271HBU 1440p 144hz G-Sync (TN)
Monitor 2 (which works fine, DVI-D connection)
Benq XL2411T 1080p 144hz (TN)

I’ve included a dump of the MicroProfiler. I can’t draw any conclusions from it, but it may be useful for the engineering team.

microprofile-20190216-163706.html (1.2 MB)

I hope this bug can be resolved. I’m happy to supply more information, if this is necessary.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

could you show us how you’ve done your cabeling of the pc? like if you plugged maybe the HDMI in the GPU and DisplayPort in the onboard connector and maybe as well a screenshot of the desktop manager?

as well did you set the DisplayPort as your main screen? if you haven’t this could be a reason for it.

(Note: i am just trying to guess because i had a kind of similar situation that my desktop manager was using all the GPU and CPU while having 2 screens on. this was on my older pc)

This might just be a “in the hole” type of fix but have you tried different rendering modes? I know someone that had this problem before and changed his rendering mode (not sure what to) but he said it fixed it. It’s relatively easy to change the rendering mode and might give you better performance in the meantime while a proper solution is deployed. If it doesn’t work then it’s no harm no foul just revert it back to Automatic.

To change the rendering setting in studio;

1. Go to settings from the studio drop down

2. Head on over to “rendering” tab and press “ok” on the disclaimer message

3. Find “Graphics Mode” at the bottom and change it.

4. As seen in the image below I’ve changed it from Automatic to Direct3D9 which is basically DirectX 9

Post back the results, I’m also interested to know when you changed your monitor to a lower refresh rate how it was done VIA Windows or the GPU settings window from NVIDIA’s control panel.

If this does nothing I have one more potential idea that may help

2 Likes

Oh my god, I changed the graphics mode to Direct3D9 and it works like normal! Even if it’s a hacky way to fix it, I can use Studio again without going mental, thank you so much!

I’ll try and answer all the other questions, not sure if this is necessary, maybe it is useful for the dev team / someone else with this issue.

Changing the refresh rate was done via Nvidia control panel, as well as in the monitor it self.

1 Like

As mentioned in my other reply, changing the graphics mode to Direct3D9 fixes it.

It’s definitely in the GPU.

Should be the main screen.

Nothing out of the ordinary.

As mentioned on the top, switching render modes fixes it. Maybe by answering these questions I/we can help the dev team find the cause.

I’m having a little go at trying all the different render methods.

The ones which function fine are:

• Direct3D9
  • OpenGL
  • Vulkan

These render modes cause the lag:

• Automatic (which probably links to Direct3D11)
  • Direct3D11
  • Metal

ive tried this on my own monitor but roblox studio wasnt lagging for me. note: this is a 2560 by 1440 display, and i have only one connected. could you maybe try to connect only 1 monitor with a display port?