Usage of Skyboxes and handling of the sun rising (in front of skybox mountains)

I have a skybox depicting mountains and it looks slightly weird with the sun going down - not behind the skybox mountains but in front of them.

Is there any way to handle this so it works in a more realistic manner?

Alternatively i had an idea of instead of a skybox, to use mesh mountains and have them reposition at a fixed distance from the camera and repositioning with the camera orientation so that the mountains always is facing the front of the camera, essentialy working the same way as a skybox. But i havent tried it before, so not sure how well it would work.

I don’t think there is a way to change the sun layer because it’s an image itself so my best guess is that somewhere in coregui they make the sun a separate image then make it have a massive zindex so no images can go in front of it. Try doing the mountains

Doing the mountains would be quite a lot of work, but i found a faster way. Keep the skybox, then have a single mesh mountain ( i could also just use a decal for this), that repositions with the camera, placed where the sun rises. Then the sun looks like it is appearing like it should

1 Like