Use of a specific Bundle + Suit causing any server to crash [CRITICAL]

Here are the links to the two items:

12 Likes

This is a major issue right now, an experience that I moderate for is constantly getting their servers crashed because of people abusing this bug. I also worry for experiences losing players because of this.

Both of these worn together cause a client to crash if they’re loaded in by one.

1 Like

Our team will investigate asap.

6 Likes

Here’s some additional details:

The server doesnt crash but every client in it does.

I believe this only happens when the client computes layered clothing, as removing it solves the issue.

There are different combinations of layered clothing that don’t crash clients but hang them instead for short durations.

I assume that layered clothing is computed on every client locally?

Layered clothing seems to re-compute when a tool is equipped.

From what I’ve noticed the complexity of the bundle contributes to how long the client hangs when computed.

Items with complex geometry where it is distributed between the inner and outer bounds cause the most issues. (Anything that is ‘spiky’)

2 Likes

Hello,

Can you please clarify whether the server is crashing, or whether all clients connected to the server are crashing? We are aware of a bug that affects clients, but to our knowledge it does not affect the server instances. If this affects the servers, it may be a different bug.

Thanks!

2 Likes

What he likely means is that he crashes all other clients when he joins

2 Likes

Hard to actually identify if the server has crashed.

But I can say now that even when the character is not loaded on the client. It will still crash.

However, there are still some combinations that will only effect clients who have it loaded. Which is very strange.

3 Likes

is your “fix” just deleting the item? because there has been no updates and the bundle is now deleted

3 Likes

maybe they found problems in the bundle

2 Likes

ok? and whats stopping someone else from reuploading the same thing if no actual changes were made

2 Likes

It takes longer than 2 hours to find the bug, fix the bug, and ship a new client version. Deleting the asset is a holdover to prevent the community from abusing the problem.

5 Likes

Hello!

This issue has been out for around 6 hours and was reported only a few hours ago, if your a developer who’s looking for a temporary fix to this issue here is a quick and simple one, this temporary fix will disable Layered Clothing. Here is how to disable this.

In studio, select “StarterPlayer” in explorer, in Properties find “LocalCharacterLayeredClothing” under Character and set it to Disabled.

note that this is only a temporary fix and will entirely disable layered clothing being from added through StarterPlayer.

The Roblox team seems to be actively working on this issue so it should be fixed soon. But do note that testing patches, shipping out the new client takes a bit of time.

Thanks!

4 Likes

its well over 6 hours now and not even an update of if the issue was found or not yet has surfaced

1 Like

I mean no ill towards you, but kindly get over it. Engineers cannot babysit the forum to constantly reassure users about the status of a crash that has been disarmed for the time being. There is no urgency anymore until another bundle appears that triggers the same problem, which is unlikely to happen until peak hours tomorrow. It is well into the evening, people have gone home.

1 Like

im not trying to sound like a
 yk, but this issue was discovered well into the morning so the fact such a critical issue only got “fixed” by deleting the bundle which probably the creator had no intention of doing harm and it’s a roblox issue is a little upsetting (seeing how this is being handled) especially since I am releasing a game soon which I plan to have a lot of traction torwards

Sorry, but if the issue is deep in the engine and will take a while to fix, this is the only thing to do. It can take all week to roll out a client update if there is no fast flag (sometimes longer, sometimes shorter, it depends), and that does not include the time spent actually fixing the issue.

The situation is not that big of a deal. Roblox can probably just recoup the UGC creator’s losses like they did when Roblox went down. Plus it’s not like they lost so much robux for the time it’s been down.

Hey all, thank you for the report and your patience as we are working hard to resolve issues with UGC bodies. We have addressed the problem with asset as well as made a fix to the client to prevent crashing and adding additional validation rules for improved experience. We will roll those out asap and update here once released.

6 Likes

it’s a pretty big deal since it’s able to immediately shut down servers upon joining.

Are you sure it’s the servers and not the clients that are in the server?

1 Like