Use of Dark Theming in UIs

Hello. I am i_Rook, a UI designer, and an aspiring creator. Welcome to the first UI tutorial! This tutorial will be covering the use of dark theming (dark mode) in UIs.

Dark mode can really be useful nowadays. Dark theming can be great to give your players some more options to make the game experience a lot better. A lot of people nowadays (including me) like choosing dark theming because it can look better to the eye and it’s less bright. You may even be looking at this post using dark mode!

Here are some tips when starting to make a optional dark theme.
1.) Make sure that the GUIs color is NOT completely black. The color black is over saturated, and can look pretty bad in most cases.
2.) Don’t use bright colors with dark uis. Bright colors like yellow and pink could look too bright when used wrong. Stick with cooler colors, like blue, purple, and green, when using color with dark theming.
3.) Use white for text. Other colors can be an eye sore. Using white can contrast with the dark colors to look perfect.

To make your life 100x easier. I made a color palette that you can use any time you want. I also added RGB codes so you can quickly add it to Roblox Studio.

Here it is
Palette Here

Thank you for reading my first tutorial (and post) on DevForum. I will be posting more about my journey and some tutorials on GUIs in the future. Reply with feedback so I can give you better information!

What theme do you use the most
  • Dark, all the way.
  • Definitely Light mode!
  • Idk. I use both I guess.

0 voters

7 Likes

Dang it, you got us there :joy:

Nice tutorial btw!

4 Likes

Haha! I think the majority of us are using dark mode.
Thanks! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

you wizard. How did you know

Thank you for the palate and the tutorial. This is pretty useful :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I use the Amber mode on devforum but dark mode on everything else

3 Likes

Thanks for the palette my dude, will definitely be using this in future projects

2 Likes

Great info! It’ll definitely come in handy when I start developing GUI things.

I use light mode.

2 Likes

Awesome! Glad you found use in my tutorial :slight_smile:

1 Like

instead of using different colors for ui that is higher up/raised use another frame on top and have it completely white and just change the transparency to get a grey color

article here: Material Design

2 Likes

Awesome article and thanks for the feedback!

2 Likes

It’s a nice tutorial; however, this point here isn’t really a strong point. You can use brighter colors similar to yellow and pink in dark or material interface design while still maintaining good UX. There are many examples of using brighter colors to match with darker colors; also dark mode doesn’t always mean grey, there are other forms of dark mode. Just because a color is bright, doesn’t mean it’s neon.

Examples:
airBasket via Dribble: Uses bright yellow
DStudio via Dribble: Uses brighter colors
muzil: Uses bright pink
Firstep by Prakhar Neel Sharma: Has a lot of bright colors, still dark though

It’s not really about how bright the colors are, its more about how the design looks and how the colors are used and the hues are utlized. Obviously neon doesn’t always work on every interface; however, you shouldn’t be afraid to use bright colors when designing interfaces, even dark ones.

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback and for those awesome pictures! When I was writing that point, I was thinking of over saturated “neon” colors. Of course if you use it in the right way (like in the pictures you sent me) it could look amazing.