UserEmotesEnabled does not disable default chatted emotes

Issue Type: Other
Impact: Moderate
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2021-03-19 03:03:00 (-04:00)
Date Last Experienced: 2021-03-19 03:03:00 (-04:00)

I am unsure if this should be considered as a bug or feature request, as I believe this functionality was never added.

• The name, UserEmotesEnabled, implies it should disable chatted emote commands, but it does not. If this is the desired solution, this should remain a bug report.
  • Hypothetically for various use cases, it may make sense to split “UserEmotesEnabled” into one property to disable the emote wheel and a separate property to disable the emote chat commands. If this is the desired solution, then this likely should be a feature request.

Reproduction Steps:

1. Set “UserEmotesEnabled” to false in StarterPlayer
  2. Type “/e dance” or any other emote command in chat
  3. Observe the character will still emote, despite emotes being disabled

Expected Behavior:
On chatting an emote command, a user should receive a reply in chat explaining emotes are disabled and the player character should not emote.

Actual Behavior:
The player character who used the chat command still emotes.

Workaround:
Fork the existing chat/animate scripts and comment the chatted emote functionality out.
How do you disable /e dance in your game? - #2 by General_Scripter

3 Likes

I believe that UserEmotesEnabled is only for the emotes that pop up when you press “.”/“>” and that it is not for the chatted emotes.

3 Likes

That is currently what it does, but the name of the property suggests it should also disable chat commands.

I mentioned that in my original post that this may either be a bug report or feature request depending on what the desired behavior to this property is. At the very least, the name is a bit ambiguous and may be worth changing.

2 Likes

Hello! Yeah, you’re right that it currently doesn’t have the functionality you mentioned. If you wish, please go ahead and submit a Feature Request. Please see How to post a Feature Request if you’ve any doubts how. Thanks!

2 Likes

Thanks!

I have formatted this into a feature request and posted it there:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.