UserIDs Are Going Over 32-bit on December 7th

I believe the larger issue behind this is that Roblox needs to keep track of moderation history of each account. It’s probably easier and more efficient to use a set of numbers as the key rather than having a username.

3 Likes

It shouldn’t affect Google Sheets if you use that as a database (which you shouldn’t). Keep in mind that you do have a Sheet limit (iirc it’s around 100 MB) and your Google Drive also has a limit. Going over either will immediately stop your Google Sheets from working properly.

1 Like

Good point. I’ll have to optimize that a bit tbh. I only use sheets to be able to backup and edit some data I need.

2 Likes

That doesn’t make sense. User IDs with lower numbers mean they are older than other higher numbers. It would be really weird to see new users with old user IDs, it would disorganize the Roblox site.

5 Likes

It’s more likely won’t bec it will just go over the 32 bit, but if it broke it will more likely only for the newer users

1 Like

Yeah no.

Right now, each account gets a unique id, and that’s it. Every system expects a unique id for everyone. Giving ids from deleted accounts would completely break that expectation, making any systems reliant on user ids have unexpected behavior, like giving items from a former deleted player.

3 Likes

Seems like a good update! Might be a little harder to navigate/manually typing user ID’s, also there might be more lag on the website, from my opinion as there can be tons of users joining ROBLOX, with new user ID’s, however, thats only a speculation!

1 Like

It’s stated that they’re going for more than 32 bit not exactly 64 bit

Also, they could have tons of analytical data tied to userids, transactions, purchase records for BC/Premium/Robux, all that sorta jazz. It’s also not practical because it’s an incremental database counter, and it would no longer be incremental if that were to happen. It would have to fill in the blank UserIDs then it could become incremental again. That means reading the blank UserIDs in harmony with thousands of other web servers, and would add tons of necessary database overhead to do this every time an account is made.

1 Like

How does an increasing number cause lag in the website? Roblox deals with far more intensive maths than a simple addition to a 64bit integer.

Why do you want to navigate by typing user IDs?

2 Likes

The increasment of id numbers won’t affect bots, as the bots just create accounts regardless of that it’s a problem of ‘human verification’

2 Likes

Suffering from success

Will this impact the ability for datastores to store data for users whose userID > 2.14B?

2 Likes

I’m happy for Roblox and their numbers increasing, but I’m scared that some things that require UserIDs will stop working, or Data Stores will become corrupt. Do peoples UserIds change? Do peoples UserIds who are banned from games that we’ve made, change*? Does that make them able to play the game again?

Thank you for reading.

-Void_Xiety :white_heart:

Datastores will not be affected. This has been answered in the OP and replies previously. Read the OP before replying

@Vyntrick @Aiomab

5 Likes

I would assume it would be exactly 2147483648. Their systems most likely store signed 64 bit, so increasing to 2^64 would be creating the exact same problem but with a significantly higher number.

They are wanting to bump it up directly past the max signed 32 bit integer, as if anything were to go wrong, it would happen after +1 increment past that limit. Once they verify that nothing went wrong with surpassing 32 bits (just as an extra precaution), they will re-enable signups.

Essentially, they are just skipping ~90-ish million UserIDs to ensure that when it does hit 2147483648 it’s not the holidays and things happen to go wrong. All devs should have their remote systems updated to 64-bit spec by then if they don’t want to disrupt their holiday.

4 Likes

Apologies, but I don’t see anything regarding Datastores, and merely just Lua Code. I did read it, but didn’t see anything in specific for data stores. So I’m still concerned :frowning:

Datastores store user IDs in strings (not integers), this is obvious if you care to read the documentation or know how datastores work.

You can store int as values, but those are signed 64-bit (but can only support 2^53 given lua limits). Certainly they would have mentioned if DataStores could be an issue.

1 Like

So if someones UserID were to be changed (which I don’t know if that is happening, or if they are only increasing the numbers and not changing existing IDs) it will not affect the data store at all? The string doesn’t change upon a userID being changed? (again, if that were to happen, do not know)

I sum up what’s happening above. It will not change existing IDs, just skip to 2147483648 (I presume, there wouldn’t be any sense in them going any further). It’ll still be a unique ID, and your DataStores will be fine.

1 Like