UserIDs Are Going Over 32-bit on December 7th

Good lord. For some people who are asking:

• No, this isn’t changing your User Id
  • No, this will not reflect any change on anything you own
  • Nothing is happening to deleted accounts or whatever, there won’t be any shifts or changes
  • Your code whitelisting admins will not change, break or allow impersonation

This announcement isn’t going to affect you unless you’re querying Roblox User IDs via web APIs on a memory unsafe language like C/C++. Which frankly, means nearly nobody here. There is no need to worry!

18 Likes

What do you mean by external data stores? Using HTTPService or something?

1 Like

Some people use external services to store a player’s data in-case roblox’s datastore servers go down. So yes, HTTPService.

2 Likes

I thought IEEE-754 capped at 1^1024 for integer values (exclusive).

Edit: And the Lua parser works with this, no questions asked.

Edit 2: Nevermind! I forgot about the limit of representing numbers reliably. 2^54 actually seems to be a bit high as printing (2^54-1 and 2^54-2) and whatnot counts down by increments of 2 still.

What happens if over 2147483647 people join your game with a datastore?

1 Like

Roblox would literally explode lol.
Truly tho the servers wouldn’t be able to handle that unless roblox was just 1 and only 1 game however I still don’t think it would be able to handle 2 billion people in the first place

3 Likes

Would that mean that users whose IDs are at least 2^31 will be increased further, or will our user IDs be temporarily increased for some time? I couldn’t parse that statement really well.

1 Like

The lag is caused by the backend team having to temporarily shut down their servers (perhaps in waves) to implement the new updates.

Then you’d have at least 2,147,483,648 entries in your DataStore.

This announcement has probably caused more confusion than anything. It does not affect you in any way whatsoever if you’re not relying on User IDs being 32-bit integers (which it’s unlikely that you are).

5 Likes

The source isn’t the id number itself then, which was my whole point. Just the maintenance Roblox has to do.

2 Likes

keeping in mind that majority of the roblox users are scambots, i think this is a good step if you guys can successfully get over the lua limit without wreaking havoc across the website like the incident today.

Might sound dumb but negative numbers and letters?

I have noticed a bug of when this testing phase was running. I completed the sharkbite event and was supposed to earn the item. I checked my inventory and it was not there. I cannot redo the event since it already thinks I have the item. If possible, could you restore all the data that may have been lost during the testing?

Cool! I love to see Roblox looking after it’s increasingly growing community. I still can’t wrap my head around that when I started the highest player count was 5k, but now Adopt Me and other games hit 1 million on a regular basis!

2 Likes

“Deleted” accounts aren’t deleted. They’re basically set to hidden.
You can easily check the API endpoint to see their usernames, descriptions, and a boolean on their ban status.
There’s been instances in the past where a “Deleted” user account gets restored.

3 Likes

That is uncorrelated with user ids. Please contact Roblox support (Support - Roblox) or the developer.

I want to see what happens if it rolls over before 7th, I hope some bot developer is reading this and creates a bot powerful enough. Anyone has ideas what would happen?

Not good…C++, C, Java can handle only 2^31…So we will need to use strings instead of ints.
EDIT: Python can handle VERY LARGE NUMBERS.

1 Like

Basically at least half of the users that currently playing roblox? How about never?

4 Likes

That is still a terrible idea cus it’d target users who are actual humans.

5 Likes