Using Constraints To Make a Vehicle

I Know This Is Probably Well Documentated on the Developer Tutorials But My Need is Quite Specific, I Make Trains With Surface Hinges. The Discontinuation of Surface Welds and Such on the 14th Put a Major Spanner in the Works for This.

Am I Able to use Constraints In The Same Way I Would Use Surface Hinges or am I going to have to Relearn How I Make Trains.

I’m Thinking of Having to Use an Old Version of Roblox Studio To do This.

Any Advice Would be Aperciated

2 Likes

They depricated the surface hinges as well. There is another way to do this now, but I forgot how.

you can use the surface tool to apply a stud texture onto a part, then the surface property re-appears with all the old hinges and stuff

The rotor constraint is added simply by clicking the dropdown under the create constraint button, selecting rotor, and clicking where on the two parts you want the rotor to be created. Doing this instead of changing the surface properties doesn’t mean you have to relearn how to make trains.

Due to a Recent Update This Means That This No-Longer Works As they Don’t Join With Parts

My strategy still works!

Proof

Once you’ve used the surface tool on something you can add motors and stuff back!

Sadly Like I Said These Don’t Join Together if you Try to Combine the Parts to make a Car For Example like you Could Before the September 14th Update. I Know About this.

I’ll Provide Screenshots Soon

Well, in the deprecation update notice, the poster put a surface to constraint thing.

I’ve Attempted to Use this by Converting my Old Trains to Constraint but They Just Will No Longer Move. Therefore the Ease of Surface Hinges Is Entirely Removed and the train Won’t Move At All

I’m Now Relying on Using an old Version of Studio So I can Still Construct these Trains

I had the same exact issue as you do, but with cars.

Here’s how I do it:
Create a Chassis part and Wheel parts.
Make HingeConstraints from the Chassis to the Wheel(s)

Change the Properties of the HingeConstraints:
-Change the ActuatorType to “Motor”
-Change the AngularVelocity to more than zero, try negatives and varying amounts to get the direction and speed you want
-Change the MaxTorque to a few thousand (and more if it doesn’t move)

I would recommend trying this first with a simple 5-part 4-wheel car chassis first, then use the same design for a train.

If that doesn’t work, please tell me!

2 Likes