Using math.noise() is fun

I’ve been messing around with it for a while, made this with a color3 brick mesh.
I posted this on twitter, but just thought I’d show you guys.

1 Like

Holy crap I didn’t even know math.noise was a thing.

[quote] I’ve been messing around with it for a while, made this with a color3 brick mesh.
I posted this on twitter, but just thought I’d show you guys.

[spoiler]

Thank you kindly for letting me know about this. Super useful stuff :smiley:

Quite fun indeed.

I already had a function that did this; now I feel less special </3
Seems super useful though

Is there a way to set the seed?

I didn’t know this was a thing… I spent hours trying to make my own noise before but with my terrible math skills, I was unsuccessful… I’m going to have to try this.

Not unless you use it as a ‘heightmap’ (i.e. math.noise(x, y, seed) or a similar combination)
I think math.noiseseed() should exist though. It would be nice.

Not unless you use it as a ‘heightmap’ (i.e. math.noise(x, y, seed) or a similar combination)
I think math.noiseseed() should exist though. It would be nice.[/quote]

math.randomseed probably affects math.noise?

I think math.noiseseed() should exist though. It would be nice.[/quote]

math.randomseed probably affects math.noise?[/quote]

Not as far as I’ve tested, or the people on the wiki: http://wiki.roblox.com/index.php?title=Function_dump/Functions_specific_to_ROBLOX#math.noise

I thought you used math.noise(Seed,X,Y)… :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah I’ve been playing around with it too. Definitely fun.

Some initial tests with math.noise as a heightmap:

Some time went into eliminating that edge you get when two of the coordinates get close to an integer. But it works nicely. If you guys want, I can attach it to this post.

I then went ahead and put the same formula into the triangle terrain generator I made ages ago. This is the result:

1 Like

How to mountain?

Edit: Made some flowing liquid using perlin noise.