[v2.1.0] MatchmakingService - ON HOLD

I see you can get a players party but, how would I go about making one if the value is nil?

Ah, I see are you trying to make a party without queuing them? If so, this service doesn’t handle the formation of parties, but only them being queued and guaranteed to get into the same game. I would suggest using a format like this: {{userid,userid,userid}, {userid,userid, ...}} where there is a table of tables essentially (you can also use a dictionary and store the leader’s id to the other player’s ids if you want) and then just pass that into QueueParty when you want to actually put them into the queue. If that’s not what you mean perhaps send me a private message so you can give me more details.

2 Likes

This module seems to be really amazing! I’d use it but my game’s supposed to be released to the public again soon, so i’d rather not right now. I’ll keep this module on my radar so when it’s out of beta, I can update my modules to this one!

2 Likes

Hey everyone, I just released 3.2.0-beta with small changes and fixes that should help with the errors like “Request failed.” I am still working on my caching module and implementing that so it is not being used yet and is not final.

Version 3.2.0-beta
Changes (breaking):

• None

Changes (non-breaking):

• [Change] Switched to task.spawn over coroutine.wrap #2

Fixes:

• [Fix] Added retries to getting things from memory (After note: I might also add a sort of rate limit in the future). This should better prevent “Request failed” errors. Cache module still in the works
  • [Fix] Profiles will now be force loaded meaning “Unable to get player profile: Wait time exceeded” errors should be less frequent.

If you still experience any issues please let me know!

2 Likes

Question, why did you switch from task.spawn() to coroutine.wrap() ? Also, when should this module be done? I’m interested in using it myself but too afraid it would mess up the feature.

2 Likes

The reasoning for switching to task.spawn() was outlined in the PR:

Also, the task library will probably continue to be supported an updated.

Unfortunately I don’t know. I’m currently in college and working practically full time on a game release at the moment. When my schedule clears up I will be able to work on this more. Currently I’m just working on fixing the bugs that make it unusable and then I’ll get to the to-do list at the bottom of the post eventually.

I’m always willing to help when I have time if you send me a private message on the forum.

2 Likes

Thank you for responding. I’ll be trying to use this module in my game, while also having a back up for if some bug that no one could’ve saw pops up, since this module is still in beta. I’ll make sure to DM if there’s any bugs that I find

1 Like

Receiving this error

I’ll look into it, thanks for the report

Edit: So I think I found the reason but I’m not sure how much I can do about it:
jp14vt_108271

I’ll see if there’s a good way I can compress the information before saving it.

1 Like

Alright, I added some additional debug information when a game is unable to be added to queue. @Wqund (or anyone) if that error happens again can you send me the debug data you see in the console? That will help me figure out if this is a bug I can fix.

1 Like

Checking right now, do you perhaps have any discord to collaborate on this issue?

Alright, we’ve pushed a small change that should reduce this error from happening:

Version 3.2.1-beta
Changes (breaking):

• None

Changes (non-breaking):

• None

Fixes:

• [Fix] A possible fix to #3 has been added. This fix is being monitored.

If you still see this issue let me know and I’ll figure out a better solution.

Version 3.2.2-beta
Changes (breaking):

• None

Changes (non-breaking):

• None

Fixes:

• [Fix] Fixed an issue that prevented players from being matched after their ratings were updated.
  • [Adjustment] Rating can no longer go below 0.

Also, I’d like to add that those of you that see “The provided value is too long” as an error, this is caused because of improper documentation of sorted map size limit. I’ve pointed out the issue to roblox (for the second time, because someone else did over a month ago…). I’m only hoping they fix this issue as it majorly impacts this service. If they decide to keep the size limit at 1kb, then I’m afraid this would get way too complex to manage as a service because each time it goes over 1kb, it’d have to be split into another key under the sorted map, which is not scalable at all. And as I said memory queues are not in a state where they can be used for this yet.

Just know I am trying my best to fix these issues so this is ready for a real release.

EDIT: There has been no response to it yet. I will update this comment again if they respond or if enough time passes. It’s honestly just not acceptable how this documentation error was reported over a month ago and still the bug hasn’t been fixed nor has the documentation been updated to reflect the true memory limitations. Hopefully they fix it. If they do I think we’re going to be in a good place for an official release, which will come with better docs as well.

EDIT 2: I’ve just sent a message to bug support since they seemed to have stopped responding on the topic introducing memory store service. Hopefully it gets filed as an actual bug and we can get this resolved. Sorry for any inconvenience this is causing.

However, on a more positive note, I am working on better documentation that will be more organized than a devforum post!

EDIT 3: Big step in the right direction! Bug support has moved my topic to engine bugs so hopefully the engineers see it! Sorry for the extended wait…

4 Likes

MatchmakingService is a really great module to use, and is easy to implement once you learn! MatchmakingService will be used in the release of Bloxy Kart 2, which has no planned release date as of yet.

2 Likes

Thanks! Still waiting on a response to my bug report so I can get this rolled out in a more complete fashion. I’ll keep my current solution updated with anything as I get notified about it. Who knows if they’ll even reply to it. I hope they do soon…

2 Likes

Excellent module. Defintely will be using this for an upcoming project. Question though. Is there a way I can add multiple teams to Update Ratings for with the :UpdateRatings() function?

1 Like

>2 team support is planned for an upcoming update! However, as of 3.2.2-beta only 2 teams are supported, but follow this topic for updates. That update should come on the full 1.0.0 release or before, so it should be out by the time this module is stable

3 Likes

I have an issue here. Not sure if this is a bug, but it is constantly return this error within the output.

Failed to invoke transformation function. 

What does this mean?

1 Like

If you can give me the full stacktrace I’ll be able to assist better

1 Like