Vanilla 3 - The pragmatic icon set for Roblox Studio

this is absolutely amazing.

18 Likes

Very nice! been waiting for a while since i saw it on twitter!

7 Likes

This looks really good, but if you can, can you add a different icon for each instance, it’s easier to recognize that way, Roblox should do it too. So let’s say, you have “ClickDetector”, instead of having the same icon as “ProximityPrompt”, you could have a hand pushing a button or something like that. Same goes for many others, but it’s really cool anyways :eyes:.

11 Likes

Absolutely insane! I’ve been wanting them since I saw you started doing them on Twitter. I’m curious, how many icons did you make in total?

9 Likes

With Mod Manager it’s technically possible to do, but requires more effort to do. It also makes updates harder to do; as Roblox adds new icons to Studio, you’d have to keep reassigning your custom icons.

I could possibly create a set of ‘extra’ icons you could download in addition to the ‘default’ set in the future?

10 Likes

123 here total, but I have many others for all the other parts of the Studio interface (just in case those become moddable too!)

55 Likes

That sounds good. But I hope Roblox will do it too, since it’s hard to find certain Instance. I usually have a lot of BaseValue’s and it’s harder to find the right BaseValue, because every BaseValue has same icon, instead of different ones; like those

• BoolValue - A hand pointing at checkbox, or something.
  • ObjectValue - A hand pointing at cube.
  • Vector3Value - A hand pointing at 3 lines with have assigned axis name on it.

and I can go on.

11 Likes

Quick question; what do you use to make your icons?

7 Likes

I use Figma: https://figma.com/

20 Likes

Roblox really needs to add these, their current outdated icons are so bad, this looks so much more minimalistic and clean.

20 Likes

Im gonna check this out, you should make a tutorial on it if you havent already.

6 Likes

I remember you showcasing these on Twitter asking for feedback. Great design and I appreciate the efforts!

How long did it take you to make these? What was the motivation for designing the icons the way you designed them? What inspired you to name the project Vanilla?

:slight_smile:

11 Likes

These textures are beautiful! I love them! Definitely going to be using them all the time!

6 Likes

This is really cool! I’m surprised that you made this free.

5 Likes

Thanks!

I’ve been working on them on and off since the 27th of August, when I first started my studio redesign project:

The icon style just grew naturally out of the requirements and the way I design icons personally. With icons as small as these, there’s no room for extra detail and complex organic shapes tend to get blurry and imprecise - that’s why lots of the icons are highly simplified with distinct edges and angles.

Originally, the icons were all black and all white; I introduced colour as a way of making it easier to distinguish icons from a distance. After early feedback, I made them more prominent until the palette got to where it is today.

Most of the rest of the design is down to stylistic choices and preferences on my part :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s in reference to actual vanilla! In my mind, this is like a ‘basic’, almost ‘default’ kind of icon design. Also I might just really like vanilla.

12 Likes

So do I use the Roblox studio mod manager?

6 Likes

It’s supported (and I’d recommend using it for convenience!), but if you want, manual installation is also supported :slightly_smiling_face:

You’ll get installation instructions for both methods after you download the icons!

3 Likes

I only got the icons folder. Is there supposed to be something else?

5 Likes

There are full instructions

7 Likes

Your ZIP file should look like this when it’s downloaded:

ModManagerIcons contains all the icons for Roblox Studio Mod Manager, whereas ClassImages.png is what you’ll use when you manually install :grinning:

5 Likes