Vastly different memory usage numbers for PC vs. PS4 in same game (+ PS4 crashing consistently due to no memory)

I’m investigating memory issues in our game Heroes Battlegrounds due to reports of PS4 consoles crashing whenever joining a public server. Unexpectedly, some memory categories are entirely different across the platforms in terms of usage, and it’s making debugging difficult:

PC

PS4

UntrackedMemory sits at 5-50 MB. Apologies for the poor quality, I stitched together a phone picture.

I truthfully have no idea what’s going on here. I attempted to disable preloading of sounds on consoles, but it’s not helping that 820MB number for sounds. I started experiencing this issue at 2024-03-18T05:00:00Z, but it’s very likely that it happened before then.

It’s worth noting that both the accounts I tested this on had dev permissions. I also tested both without and got the same results.

Repro

Simply join Heroes Battlegrounds on a PS4 and check the memory in the dev console vs. a PC player’s memory usage. To join a private server, put an alt in your private server and join the alt from the home page.
If you join a public server, you’ll crash consistently, which I feel may be related to this issue.

Expected behavior

I first and foremost expect the PS4 version to not crash, but I also expect the memory usage numbers per category to not be wildly different. Any explanation would be greatly appreciated if this is my fault or can be avoided.

2 Likes

Something random to note: I forced a low-memory situation on PC by forcing Studio to take up all my system RAM, and UntrackedMemory was immediately flushed out, causing the game to take up 1.5GB of RAM (in contrast to the 2.9GB shown in the original PC picture). Effectively, our game is taking up ~700MB more RAM on console in certain memory categories for an unknown reason, and it’s leading to crashes.

Bug was related to a large amount of audio instances with the same ID being present, and we fixed it by removing the duplicate sounds. I’ll make a new report focused on the actual issue once I’m able to create a repro for it.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.