Vertex Painting for Texturing?

I cant go on twitter so please dont mention this thread: https://devforum.roblox.com/t/meshpart-vertex-color-painting/34386

But how do people texture via vertex painting? I know how to use vertex painting in Blender but never had the time to figure out how people would get specific colors on the meshes without using a texture. Please help me lol.

For one this sounds really cool and really beneficial to performance, as it completely removes the need for a highly detailed texture which could hurt performance. I know Blender and could probably find out how to get to the Vertex Painting area without much help but its still helpful to know how people get special colors on a mesh and stuff like that, and its limitations. Such as if it couldnt go completely greyscale and just use a black and white for a texture or a specific color is completely unusable.

1 Like

Already figured it out, this is super cool :open_mouth:

so what did you do, is it possible in blender?

So basically I thought all Vertex Paints were linear with just Blue and Red, I got that impression off of Cinema 4D which was wrong. If you just color it via Vertex, which has RGB, in Blender via the Vertex Painting mode, go to Object mode and change it to Vertex Painting, and you can color the mesh any way you want, you will still need to UV map everything but you know thats expected. This is great for very basic colors like red, blue, green, purple, etc. But if you want highly detailed work you will have to still texture it via a Decal as it just works better that way.

Its likely you could texture it externally and import that Diffuse map to the Vertex Map and it would work the same but I am yet to search for something like that.

So far I have found you can input a texture file via adding a Texture to the .Blend file, theres a Texture area in Vertex Painting, and you can sort of color your texture onto the mesh although its not a very good strategy for coloring it via a UV mapped color, Im still looking but I dont think this is a very good idea for highly detailed texture maps.

2 Likes

In Blender you don’t need a UV to VertexPaint. You can do it right in the 3D View window.

Also I will point out that while .FBX files are - in most cases - better on performance than an .obj + texture, they’re worse on performance than just a .obj by itself. Look at the file sizes that have to download. Also if you’re using the mesh for a lot of different things (like a gun with different skins), it’s usually better/easier to do a texture since that is something you can change easily later on

Basically, just know when or when not to use them :slight_smile:

I made the Eggcyclopedia for the 2018 Egg Hunt with VertexPainting since it was a relatively easy/quick texture that didn’t need to be crazy detailed.
BookGif

9 Likes