VertexColor not working when a Descendant of a Character

This likely won’t be fixed anytime soon. It’s not really a ‘bug’ as it’s intended behavior. The VertexColor is transformed to a Color3, and anything outside of [0, 1] is undefined. Using out of range Color3 values to emulate emissive textures has never worked when parented to a rig with a humanoid, despite many reports. We can only hope Roblox adds proper emission textures, but I sincerely doubt they will.

5 Likes

since this may not ever get fixed…care to share your hacky solution?

5 Likes

Ignore me if I’m wrong, but with the values the VertexColor are clamped from 0-1, but still represent RGB. This works the same with using .R values to RGB. In the original scenario, it would be cR = c.R * 255, so you should be able to do the same with RGB by doing

function setColor(SpecialMesh: SpecialMesh, Color : Color3)
   local R = math.clamp(Color.R / 255, 0, 1)
   local G = math.clamp(Color.G / 255, 0, 1)
   local B = math.clamp(Color.B / 255, 0, 1)

local VertexColor = Vector3.new(R, G, B)

SpecialMesh.VertexColor = VertexColor
   return VertexColor
end
2 Likes

They’re by default at 1,1,1. They are not clamped unless they are in a character, which is why I am filing this bug report. (they shouldn’t be clamped)

1 Like

Yeh, this is a bug because when I place my meshpart inside of a model it glitches, but when I place it anywhere else it is fine…

1 Like

The same thing happens with the UnionOperation object. However, I think that this is a separate bug.

Image:

However, this could possibly be related because of the way Humanoid has its own implementation of shadows and rendering.

2 Likes

This bug, along with ALL of my other bug reports, has remained unfixed for months. I’m very frustrated. It feels like I am talking to a brick wall.

2 Likes

It’s so extremely frustrating that this bug has not been fixed after months of waiting.

2 Likes

there are a lot of bugs im sure its down the not really a priority list somewhere though i agree this would be a great thing to fix because versatility is awesome

not sure how long itd take to fix something like this but i cant imagine it being difficult

2 Likes

I made the post in early december. it’s almost may now… ridiculous :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Alright. I hate necrobumping, but this has gotta get fixed. I’ve got an update right around the corner for my game, which involves SpecialMeshes for their cool forcefield texture thingamjig.

For the time being… I’m coping by changing the ‘emissive’ values to percentages of the ratio I decided on. Basically, one of my textures uses (1.5, 1, 2), I can instead use (0.75, 0.5, 1) or essentially halving it to keep it inside the (1, 1, 1) - (0, 0, 0) Color3 weird setup.

2 Likes

Its been nearly 8 months since I filed the bug report. I’ve lost all hope of this getting fixed

4 Likes

Is anything going to be addressed?

1 Like

Hello, can an engineer hop on this report? The 1-year anniversary of this thread will be next Tuesday

would absolutely love for this to be fixed…

Unfortunately, I missed the one year anniversary for this. Happy late 1 yr anniversary :tada:

BUMP. I really need this fixed and its been over a year since I filed this. If it wont be fixed, I’d like a workaround atleast :frowning_with_open_mouth:

Just ran into this… again. This is the 3rd time this bug has limited my ability to actually make stuff on this platform…

Unfortunately this is currently a limitation of the system. Unless we do a non-trivial architecture change this limitation will remain in place for the foreseeable time.

A work around could be to keep the gift in the main workspace and weld it to the hand you want.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.