Video uploads [Beta]: Add short-form video to your experience

This is a really cool and long awaited feature however, I am disappointed that every feature is locked away behind ID verified, I personally do not wish to give away my personal information to a third-party company I have never heard of or trust just to use a new feature in my games it often just blocks a majority of developers who think the same way being locked from new stuff and left behind.

6 Likes

They really thought that they would get positive feedback out of this…

1 Like

will they become free? 2k is kinda much, that’s more than audio + a badge (when they costed)

Appears to have a small delay at the beginning of each loop

2 Likes

that’s like what, 80 cents per second of video? good grief

It’s better to calculate things based on DevEx. In this case, a video is $7 USD. Which still does sound like quite a bit, reading that out loud. Hopefully that will go down over time, or at least remove the length limit and stick with the size limit.

But here’s a solution if you want something similar, but for free:

Or just continue using things like ViewportFrames.

Hey!

Excited about the latest videoframe update—I’ve been eagerly anticipating this. I’m curious about the performance differences between using a videoframe and a flipbook. For my game’s intro, we use 48 individual images to create a 4-second animation (this was before the introduction of videoframes). I decided to upload the original animation last night and compare the two methods.

In the game linked below, the first animation (with a lighter background) uses the flipbook method, while the second animation (with a darker background) uses a videoframe. Would you recommend replacing the flipbook with the videoframe for better performance?

demo place (bottom left of the screen is the method it’s currently using):

@phri

Who’s gonna buy Robux just to spend it on a video though? You should use a devex calculator because that would be more accurate to the people who are actually gonna use these videos.

I remember when this was a feature everyone was looking forward to. But then you go slap these insane restrictions onto it that make me ask why you even did it in the first place.

I get that videos take up a lot of storage, so adding a price tag is pretty much required. I get that. But why base it around how long a video is? There’s already an insanely high file size limit that nobody will reach unless they’re going completely uncompressed, why not scale the price on how much size the videos take instead?

I do not like ID verification being forced onto stuff like this. And just because I refuse to give you personal information, I’m not allowed to use this new technology? It started as just verification for stuff like 17+ games (which makes sense), now it’s being used to restrict features that frankly shouldn’t be restricted with an ID. I don’t need to explain why that’s bad.

What is with the 3 videos every 30 days? Genuinely, I don’t understand. Why are you limiting something people already have to pay for? This makes the least sense to me out of all the restrictions, what was the point of this? Nobody’s gonna spam this, it’s already R$2,000.

All these restrictions lead me to my main point: I just don’t see this being practical to use anymore.

Before, I could imagine videos being used for a lot of things, big and small. You could make something as small as a simple cutscene to as big as a documentary-style video. But with these restrictions in place, it even feels like making basic cutscenes is a waste of money. This now only appeals to the top developers on your platform, anyone else won’t get too much use out of it.

You guys somehow made a good update bad. How do you even manage that?

2 Likes

I think the flipbook method will always be more performant. I prefer to use a single image that contains as many frames as possible (to limit the total number of images streamed in). My only issue with that is the size limit for any individual image. This makes it difficult to make a higher quality animation without uploading a ton of images. I think if it’s something larger, a video will definitely look better and will be easier to produce.

In the game you linked, I found the VideoFrame version to be much nicer, although I would’ve taken advantage of the better framerate by making the animation smoother. If there’s no way of doing that, I’d recommend using AI to interpolate and add extra frames using a program like Flowframes.

2 Likes

So once this is out of beta, is this still gonna cost 2000 robux?

2000 robux? I recommend to decrease it to around 400-1000

Don’t you think 2000 Robux is a bit much? :skull_and_crossbones::money_mouth_face:

I was excited, until I heard about paying. 2000? Really?

I can see why a lot of people are mad about the 2000 Robux part, but you all have to understand that the feature is currently in BETA and I think the hefty price is just to deter anyone from uploading any inappropriate content as things can sometimes slip past moderation.

I personally think the 2k R$ is meant to reduce upload spam, but it may also be used to help pay for both file hosting and streaming of said videos, where it acts as a one-time payment.

I think it would be foolish for anyone to upload anything inappropriate as this feature requires ID verification currently. Which means that any abuser would never be able to use this feature ever again, unless it was a lesser offense perhaps.

2 Likes

Great feature! But why does it have to be ID verified? Many people don’t want or can’t ID verify their account. I don’t think it’s a good idea to give features only to verified accounts. I see why it’s done with voice chat so you can be 100% sure the person is old enough but for general features it seems unnecessary.

1 Like

I’m only phone verified, and I still have access to uploading videos.

1 Like

2000 Robux and you requre ID verification?

Man this update is not worth the wait…
Especially for developers who dont get money off their games

2 Likes

All developers earn money through Premium Payouts, regardless of if anything is actually sold in the game/experience or not. I can understand the issue with ID verification, but the current fee, albeit a little high, isn’t as difficult to earn as many here seem to think.

A 30 second video translates to $7 DevEx, but keep in mind that this is currently a beta feature. That 2k R$ is spent to pay for hosting and streaming said video, and acts as a floodgate for spamming uploads. This feature is nice to have, but it’s also important to realize the alternatives that already exist. Additionally, not all games/experiences need to include every new feature that comes out.

I do however hope that this fee will either eventually go away after the full release, or be changed to a dynamic price based on the file size. That and have the length limit also be based on file size, rather than an arbitrary 30 seconds. But I believe those restrictions are also related to this still being an early beta feature.

1 Like