Video uploads [Beta]: Add short-form video to your experience

If a developers game needs a video then It’s not a “Wrong” priority. You saying that is just selfish. Just because you have money, doesn’t mean everybody does. Try to see through those who don’t have the required amount of money, and find it extremely hard to work around this issue. It’s obvious that Roblox most likely did this as a test, but it’s something that needs to be addressed.

1 Like

There is a large difference between what a game “needs” and what would be “cool” for a game to have. I would say that the vast majority of games will never “need” a video for anything. There are times where a game may “need” something, but perhaps you lack the required resources or skills to make it happen. In those cases, you have to outsource, get another team member, buy pre-made assets, or learn the skill yourself (referring to general game development and not just this video feature).

If you (or anyone else) still want to have a video in your game, I previously gave alternate free solutions. Obviously they’re not quite as easy to use as directly uploading a video, but you still have other options. If you’re still convinced that your game has to have video content and this alternative won’t work for you, then it’s time to either find investors or invest yourself.

Let me make something perfectly clear here. You do not need money to game games, and yes that includes successful games. Almost any professional game developer will tell you this. I have never put any money into development until my most recent project I’m working on for custom materials with a particular art style, which by all means are not required one bit. All of the Robux I have is entirely from things I have done on Roblox. What did I do with that Robux? I reinvested it into future projects.

When I said that your priorities are wrong if pricing is an issue for you, this is what I’m talking about. You’re more than welcome to spend money on your projects when you have the funding, but until you do, you should focus on gaining that funding from publishing games that didn’t cost anything. Your first game doesn’t need to be super fancy or graphically amazing, it just needs to be a game.

Your first few games will probably fail. Learn from those failures and keep trying until you make a game that doesn’t fail. You may have heard a quote similar to “fail faster”, because failure is almost guaranteed and happens to be one of the best way to learn. Your first few projects should be very small, with the main goal being to get them finished. They’ll be an incredible learning experience that you can use to reach even higher with your next projects. You should also find team members. You don’t have to be a solo developer. I’d recommend learning at least the basics of all aspects of game development as its own thing, but it’s generally better to work with at least one other person who can cover your weaknesses. The things I say are never meant as “hate”, but rather simply just blunt and direct advice.

At least for now, it seems to be to limit the amount of uploads until they have a more permanent system for hosting and streaming videos, along with video content moderation. Whether this remains the same is mostly unknown at this point. It would make sense for it to become free similar to how audio has been changed. Though as I said previously, if it isn’t changed in that way, I do hope the price changes to match the file size and/or video length. That’s how audio used to work and I don’t personally see how this is any different in regards to dynamic pricing.

TL;DR:

Okay I just realized this went on for way too long so here’s a summary. The vast majority of games don’t need video for anything. You do not need to spend money to make successful games. I’ve never spent any money on any of my previous projects. Game development is just a hobby until it isn’t. Your first games shouldn’t be fancy. Your first projects should be small and simple. Reinvest what you earn into future projects for when you want to take things a step further. Most professional developers would give the same advice.

(I’d still recommend reading through the rest as this summary doesn’t cover everything.)

I could’ve probably kept this shorter by linking this instead:

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/what-do-you-think-is-the-most-efficient-order-to-develop/2205460/13

5 Likes

Does anyone know the total number of videos you can have in an experience? I heard 2 but wanted to ask as it states you can upload 3 short form videos.

1 Like

I only have 2 videos in my game. Somehow, I’m getting the error “At most 2 videos can play simultaneously.”. How???

1 Like

Yeesh! 2K Robux? that’s 25$ USD per video, isn’t that a tad bit expensive?

4 Likes

If you’re buying robux, you most likely shouldn’t be buying a video. I’m pretty sure this is targeted to developers who have robux flow from games and not the robux store.

In dev-ex terms 2k robux is $7, which may still be a lot for some but in terms of how much it costs to develop a game, it isn’t too bad.

2 Likes

Isn’t too bad? The cost to develop a game should be, and is, zero. Make a game using GoDot, use the Steam networking API, boom. Completely free game, with free videos, and free networking.

1 Like

Doesn’t Steam charge upwards of $100 to publish your game? If you’re talking solely about “development” costs, then sure, it’s free.

Also, I was talking about development costs, such as hiring programmers, UI designers, etc. If you plan to make a game with no budget, I don’t think videos should be a priority.

Storage and the actual playing of videos is expensive. The kind of technology required eats up a lot of money, server resources, labour, and other things. (Videos btw need to be extremely compressed in order to even be feasible, as at the end of the day they are just many, many, many pictures.)

That’s funny, last time I checked, uploading decals is free.

Dawg can y’all like make uploading videos free instead? Why on earth would i pay 20 dolluh for a 30 SECOND VIDEO?

3 Likes

I understand that video services cost a massive chunk of change to uphold, store, and use… but 2,000 Robux…? That’s way to expensive for many people to want to use. I’d say 500 Robux would be reasonable, as this would give everyone the ability to upload short form videos… and give it some stress testing. 2,000 Robux though…? Only the absolute richest of rich are going to pour that much Robux out for a 30 second video.

Outside of the price, I’m very excited to see how videos turn out. I have hope that videos will at some point be able to be uploaded for cheaper than 300 Robux, video lengths will become 5 minutes long, and you’ll be able to have up to 50-100 videos play at once on the Client. Although that’s a whiles away… it’s still an exciting idea for the future.

1 Like

Heh, its better off to spam a bunch of images (that are free to publish) which in fact would take more space than videos.

1 Like

Why would roblox give its users opportunities to save money?

1 Like

I mean that’s what they’ve done with sounds already, you can upload your own vfx / music but only you have access to it.

This will also allows better game design, such as adding some “movement” to your game

why do I need to pay 2000 robux for a 1 second video

2 Likes

2000 robux for just a single upload is absolutely crazy, especially when the video’s length doesn’t matter. That’s equivalent to HK$51.

2 Likes

There are so many cons to this. At this point, ViewportFrames are far superior.

1 Like

20 pounds to upload a video, that’s crazy

1 Like

Bro, I have a 4 second video and I will buy for 2000, NO, it’s better 240 decals and 1 sound for FREE

although 240 decals is so much :skull:

2 Likes