Video uploads [Beta]: Add short-form video to your experience

They can’t be over 30 seconds… :innocent:

Finally, videos! But, I do not have an ID to verify.

(edit): Summary:

21 Likes

Why the need for both of these limits? It seems quite weird to both be limiting creators on how much content we can upload and charging us for it at the same time?! It is also quite concerning that little emphasis was put on the cost in this post (other than stating that it can’t be refunded). Is this because lowering this fee is not planned at all?

Until videos are free and other limits are given more freedom, this feature will not be used heavily in development workflows as many developers will opt for the cheaper yet less performant and less moderation vigilant approach of using custom-built video players. I personally will not be using this feature at all, especially since there is no way to preview my video and determine if compression has absolutely destroyed it until I’ve already comitted to it with a 2k Robux fee.

12 Likes

I understand Roblox doesn’t want to attract negative or NSFW videos on the platform but 2,000 is a little steep if I must say so myself.

I feel like the moderation process is enough to stop bad videos being put on the platform, as well as the current limitations.

I think Roblox is going about deterring developers from creating videos by putting prices up which is unethical- either enhance the moderation process further or don’t open it up for public consumption at all.

If all else, half the price as developers who’re just starting out won’t want to spend 2k on a singular video to be displayed in their experience.

8 Likes

Will this change in the future? Like if we want to upload a 1-3 second videoclip I don’t think we want to pay 2k robux videoclips that short.

8 Likes

Thankfully I have access to the uploaded despite not being verified. Unfortunately it looks like it’s either broken, or this is their way of telling me I need to give my ID:

8 Likes

Or worse, developers use other approaches to get their video on-platform without going through moderation. We already see this possible with “video player with Roblox scripts” resources. While they are un-performant, a developer who is desperate to avoid the fee (or more maliciously, moderation), won’t care about that. This is a very controversial decision in my opinion because when you introduce a feature like this which requires a heavy investment to purchase, developers will find other ways to get past your system, possibly bypassing the protections you have put in-place yourself. They could possibly even normalise using third-party resources because of the high investment requirements for the ‘official’ feature.

6 Likes

If this is true, they should clarify in the topic.

I think that’d be intentional, it’d be pretty hard to make that much of an authentication error.

4 Likes

When I first saw this post, I was excited to see Roblox reintroducing the Video feature after so many years. However, upon reading the requirements, I couldn’t help but notice that the entry conditions for newcomers seem somewhat unfair. Here’s why:

1. Many developers don’t have the required amount of Robux to upload videos, whether they are short clips or for testing purposes. This financial barrier can be discouraging for aspiring creators.
  2. Another limitation is the maximum resolution of 1080p for VideoFrames. For example, if I wanted to share a high-quality cinematic video recorded at 1440p or even at a high frame rate like 120fps, I wouldn’t be able to do so. This restriction limits the creative possibilities on the platform.

Regarding the message from @phri related to videos being rejected:

As Nick and Tian mentioned at the Roblox Developers Conference (RDC) this year, they plan to enhance moderation with the help of Machine Learning (ML) to make it more efficient and accurate. While I appreciate this initiative, the current state of moderation and the existence of loopholes in Roblox’s Community Standards and Terms of Service pose problems. This can expose younger audiences, including adolescents and children, to inappropriate content.

In conclusion, I believe it would be wise to carefully consider the drawbacks before fully embracing the benefits of this new feature. However, please note that this is my personal opinion, and everyone is entitled to their own perspective on the matter.

36 Likes

AYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY I CAN’T BELIEVE IT

2000 Robux is too much.

9 Likes

Finally! Can’t wait to try it out!

2 Likes

I look forward to seeing videos in use. I for one plan to use this for TV shows, or TV ads in my sci-fi game.

I do think that the price is a bit much however, I hope it will be reduced in the future or changed to be dynamic based on the size and length of the video uploaded at the very least.

9 Likes

No, why must it be ten thousand?

It’s not like new technologies, artificial intelligence (AI), or anything else require such high prices.

It should not cost 2000 Robux, but as it is in beta, I think they must charge for it.

8 Likes

Edit all your tutorial videos into one long video and play just one small section of the video when needed.

6 Likes

Is it really necesary to be 30 seconds, I want to make explanation tutorials with this, but I think with 60 seconds would be enough.

4 Likes

Man

I’ve always wanted to make a Huggy Wuggy-inspired game, but there wasn’t video support, so I couldn’t make those video tutorials that Huggy Wuggy has. I could have utilized viewport frames and animations, but I couldn’t add some details. With this, though, I think I could finally make this kind of game.

I’m hoping that this will soon exit beta so that I can use it without any problems.
:heart:

4 Likes

the 2k robux fee is just ridiculous ngl

8 Likes

Honestly I can deal with the price, but why the limit of only 3 a month? Seems like an unnecessary limit when paired with the price.

5 Likes

Yeah, I’ll just stick to uploading individual images in a sequence.

5 Likes

I would like to suggest pricing videos based on their length. It doesn’t have to be much of a difference. For example, a 5 second video could cost only 500 robux instead of 2,000.

This would be similar to how audio uploads used to be priced based on audio length. It just makes more sense that way.

5 Likes

VR headsets such as the Oculus/Meta Quest 2 & 3 can run at 120 fps, and you want as many frames as you can get in VR, so that’s probably why.

2 Likes