ViewportFrame Release

Although now released, there is still no support for Terrain as mentioned in another thread - so a rendered world will look peculiar if it includes smooth terrain. Can we get an update on this?

4 Likes

Good point, I hope that support for lightning and skybox is added soon, alongside Terrain.

2 Likes

I feel just allowing us to render the whole terrain that is in the workspace could be a bad idea (Especially for performance). However it would be nice if we could insert a secondary terrain instance within the viewport.

3 Likes

Agreed, inserting the entire Terrain object could result in lag/rendering issues, however, you should be able to do this still, or, insert specific regions of Terrain for your map - so that it does not look weird.

1 Like

The thing is, if the developer chooses to render terrain at the expense of performance, it was their choice. Adding support for terrain does not necessarily mean it has to used.

2 Likes

This is a great update! :smiley:

1 Like

Now that it’s live, I can finally start working on character customization.

1 Like

Hi developers,

As you may have already noticed, ViewportFrames are live on all platforms! All credit goes to @programeow for making this happen.

Feel free to post screenshots or videos of how you are using ViewportFrames in your game. We will be showcasing some of the best examples for all players to see in the next few weeks!

56 Likes

I’m using it to give a 3D preview of buildings players can build in my game:

54 Likes

I’m using viewport frames to create a stylized outline effect

EDIT: might as well dump my other use cases for viewport frames
Custom handles
aw
HUD Icons (not the most creative but still cool)
aw

79 Likes

This is the most creative use I have seen so far! Nice job!

3 Likes

Thank you programeow, very cool!

2 Likes

4 Likes

Bit of a long shot but could this be used to make refection for mirrors?

2 Likes

Yes, but performance may be an issue, as you’d need another copy of the map and all objects in the viewportframe, you’d have to render all that on top of the actual map/objects

1 Like

Amazing stuff. I’m so happy it’s ready to use. Me and my partner will be using it for our game that’s coming out very soon :heart: :heart_eyes: :+1:

2 Likes

Not to mention the quality in the mirror would be very noticeably lower.

1 Like

Does this mean Viewport Frames are released for public use in games or not fully out yet?

2 Likes

Released for public games.

3 Likes

Yes!!
With viewport frames we can create 3d objects that don’t clip stuff like walls!
Example: (Don’t judge the model xd)
The player is standing right against the wall but the gun won’t clip, without viewports, this would be near impossible to do!

5 Likes