Visual novel game but multiplayer, is it possible?

I saw a game in Roblox made by Bunpunk and Cishato called Vision , it is a visual novel with its storyline and character art. I wanted to know if it’s possible to script a game just like that, (a visual novel) where it follows a story line. But instead of it just being single player, you can play with like 4/3 other people making decisions.

My idea is that it would be a horror visual novel game where you can play with your friends, and make choices. It’s also inspired by Until Dawn which has this butterfly effect policy where your actions have consequences, and timers for more of a thrill. So one choice will lead to different endings, and different twists. Everything will be based on 2D Art, so builds and animations wouldn’t matter I think?

What’s your guys’ opinions? Anything will help really! :slight_smile:

Vision Game

4 Likes

Basically it’s a 2.5D story game right? If so, then absolutely possible. You can use ViewportFrames for the characters and make it 2.5D, and the choices can just be individually scripted.

what is 2.5D? can you please explain

Basically 2D camera angles but 3D players and assets.

Oh no when I meant 2D, it’s just 2D not 2.5D. So like the only thing you’ll see in your screen is 2D Art :flushed: - thank you for your input! Now I know it’s actually possible to script it without going out of bounds :relaxed::relaxed:

yeah, I see.
as she said, everything will be 2D Art!
Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 7.26.59 PM
as seen here.

cc @IceTheOneAndOnly

The problem with full 2D is that there’s little customization for players and much more UI aspects, which can get difficult. Not saying it’s impossible, but I myself prefer 2.5D.

1 Like