Visualising and modifying CFrame properties through 3D widget

Being able to see the Value Property of CFrameValue as a ReadOnly should be integrated.

6a008382baee4755d2b5974b9458d078

“Then it should just let us change its position and euler orientation instead of its matrix… Even if it were readonly, knowing the cframeValue’s value is objectively useful” -Tomarty

53e38c673c303cbb033eed40f08d2ceb

Lets say that you want to have a list of CFrame values in which one of your scripts will read to commit to a function. Like using the said value for TweeningService. While I am Tweening the camera, I want a visual list of CFrame Values that the script can read from a folder and put to use (CFrame and the Focus), Enabling us to visually read the property would have it’s uses in this case.

Not to mention, a widget would help greatly with manipulation of CFrame values.

6 Likes

CFrame values have never been visible within the Properties window

2 Likes

Why is that, is it suppose to be that way?

My guess is that this is very intentional, because manually manipulating individual values of a CoordinateFrame could corrupt it easily. That being said, it would be nice if it was at least shown in the Properties window, even if editing for the property is disabled within the window.

2 Likes

I feel that having a CFrameValue instance is a waste then if we cannot visually manipulate it. We can easily just take the CFrame of the parent instance (Part) in that case and completely just throw away CFrameValue.

The properties window not showing CFrame values is intended because seeing a CFrame’s components does not make it immediately obvious what the rotation of that value looks like, it’s not really a good idea from a user perspective.

What I would do is editing your title and body of OP slightly and move it to Studio Features (#feature-requests:studio-features). The title could be i.e.: “Visualising and modifying CFrame properties through 3D widget”. I think that would be an interesting feature request. I don’t think it makes sense just to plop down the CFrame components in the property window because editing a rotation matrix is not really user-friendly if you’re doing it directly through the numbers, we would need a widget either in its own window or in the 3D view for that.

(For your information, you can edit your title, body, and post category by hitting either the pencil icon next to the title or the pencil icon on your first post.)

That makes sense, thanks for going in-depth.

Then it should just let us change its position and euler orientation instead of its matrix… Even if it were readonly, knowing the cframeValue’s value is objectively useful

4 Likes