Voice Chat Questions

Experimenting with the new voice chat, and there doesn’t seem to be a whole lot of documentation about it quite yet on the Developer Hub so I’m going to put some questions here as I continue to look into it.
Is there any way to have a team/open communication? What I mean is that a user can have 2 voice channels. One for their team which only can be heard by said team, and one that can be heard by everyone.
I know it’s meant to be spatial, but is it possible to have a broadcast-type “message,” like a walkie-talkie or intercom?
Thank you for any answers in advance! <3

3 Likes

I have been wondering the same thing. I have yet to discover an information about this. :thinking:

Yeah if we can figure out how to do these things early on (assuming its possible) it’ll be quite literally a game changer

Yes, I genuinely agree. There has to be a way seeing as how so many experiences have implemented this.

Something to take note of is, from my understanding of the little documentation there is, it is possible to manipulate the head and have that interact with the voice system, but I’m not completely sure of the specifics yet

As of right now voice chat features are very limited, the “VCS” service currently only has 1 exclusive function which validates whether a user is eligible for voice chat or not.

Noted, just trying to test the waters early on so I can take full advantage of it once its more of a complete feature

1 Like

There’s a built in team chat for text but that’s about it.

https://developer.roblox.com/en-us/api-reference/function/Players/TeamChat

1 Like

A system kinda like that for voice would be great, if Roblox could find out a way to do that (as you can’t just type “/t” or “%” so it’ll have to have a different activation method) it’d be very helpful

1 Like

Will likely become possible in the near future, just as of right now, it isn’t.

1 Like

I’ll try to keep tabs on it. For the time being I’ll leave this thread open in case anyone has any potential ideas or suggestions

1 Like

Just mark your own post as the solution and remake a similar thread when the time comes.

1 Like

I thought of a idea. Maybe if find out where is the voice coming from on player’s character. Maybe if it was character head you can clone in to a box so everyone can listen to each other as if they were in front of each other. I have to do some testing, but that seem like a solution that could work. While your camera still with actually player body’s there voice can be somewhere else.

I been looking at API Reference and found many things about VoiceChat (VoiceSource, VoiceChannel, GetVoiceChatAvailableetc) but alot is deprecated. Only avaliable is IsVoiceEnabledForUserIdAsync(int64 userId ) when return bool value if User has Voice Enabled or not.

I will definitely do some testing and update if I find anything conclusive.

1 Like