Volumetric effect via BillboardGui disappears when viewed on a certain angle

So recently I’ve been trying to make volumetric lightning through billboards however when i view the lightning at a certain angle, the volumetric effect disappears.

This is what it should happen:

Screenshot 2024-07-31 111038

Is there any fixes to this issue? Perhaps a script, or positionings of the billboards etc etc

I recommend using meshes for you, the billboard gui is a bad way to create volumetric light.

but it’s really laggy, easily drops from 60 fps to 30 fps on even some modern devices.

You just need to be able to optimize the game well

Mesh’s method is often criticised by how laggy and unoptimised it is, even on a blank baseplate. I’ve personally tried it and even had one of the lowest quality mesh and still can’t run too well. Your response isn’t to informative.

solved i used other methods (not mesh nor beams)

tell us about that other methods

2 Likes

I agree it’ss soo bad when people don’t even say how they fixed something and instead just say “I did something els”

1 Like

i used Surfacegui for my next method, it’s performance is alright but to maintain performance you need to make the volumetric a bit more pixelated

it’s basically mesh method except uhh without mesh

you’ll need to fill out the plane of the part with 2 surfacegui and filling each surface with frames that are set to 0.99 transparency

and then just duplicate it more and more but set the y diff minimal.

after you make something like a cube, duplicate it like once or twice and rotate it 90 degrees

then just make the volumetric’s cframe to always be around your camera

I apologise if my explanation is straight dogwater because this is the best i can explain :frowning:

hopefully this helps!

(to add on a little bit, you can also try combining the surfacegui with the billboardgui method for higher quality volumetric lightning without taking away too much performance from the billboardgui)

3 Likes

something like this can be achieved if u follow the steps correctly

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.