:WaitForDescendant()

I found this Trello card, which suggests adding a recursive option to :WaitForChild(). Wouldn’t it be more intuitive to simply create a new function, :WaitForDescendant()?

And as long as we’re on the topic, perhaps deprecate the recursive option of :FindFirstChild() and create the new function :FindFirstDescendant()?

• Yay
  • Nay (please explain)

0 voters

5 Likes

No. You’d just be introducing API clutter. A recursive parameter is better.

12 Likes

How often does one actually use the recursive “FindFirstChild” form? I’m probably hovering around 1% of recursive vs. 99% nonrecursive.

When you’re searching for an object with a given name, you generally know where it’s located. The recursive option seems more like a convenience for people who don’t want to write out a bunch of FindFirstChilds/WaitForChilds.

And I think convenience isn’t the best reason to add a new method. I probably would push to go in the opposite direction (remove the recursive findFindChild) in order to simplify the API, but of course, one shouldn’t remove a feature when people may be using it.

2 Likes

it’s not used much because the situation doesn’t pop up much, but the inclusion of it is very helpful

2 Likes

Why clutter the API more when you can just use the second parameter for FindFirstChild()? I think the convenience of the function doesn’t justify why we should add one (or two) more API function(s) when the alternative is simple enough to use.

--FindFirstDescendant
local a = workspace:FindFirstChild('blah',true)

--WaitForDescendant (of course you can counter the inifinity of the loop or frequency if you want)
local a
repeat
    wait()
until workspace:FindFirstChild('blah',true)

As for the recursive option for WaitForChild(), I don’t see how I would be using it, but maybe someone else will find a good use for it. It’s just whenever I’m using WaitForChild(), I always run into situations where I know what the parent is.

Those are my two cents I guess. :slight_smile:

1 Like