Walk and Run Animation Feedback

Hello. I am relatively new to animation in general. No 2D and minimal 3D practice. I have created a walk and run animation. They look fine, but definitely look off (as in bad lol). I can’t quite put my finger on what is wrong with them. Please critique them as harshly as you please.

Walk:

Run:

Thanks.

These walking and running animations look great! Nice job on them! How long did it take for you to create both of these?

1 Like

It took me maybe 10 minutes each. They are based off of Roblox’s default animations but they look a little less cartoonish and a little more realistic. I also based them off of running and walking in place myself lol.

Sorry for a harsh comment but

The animation is not good, it feels like the leg just sliding, there is no vertical movement to back up and add weight, the timing is off and there is no time for the leg to contact the ground and stay there before lift the other leg off. Also the arm is not correctly moved, when you move the step the leg to the font, the arm should be on the back, not along side with the leg.

I highly recommending watch this good video on how to animate leg, you should watch it all, there is a part talking about walk cycles that explain the poses, you can copy them to the editor then space, easing, timing them to look good.

2 Likes

You’re fine. I prefer harsh but helpful comments. I’ll look into the video. Thanks.

Edit: That video helped, thanks.

Edit 2: Definitely my best animation, thanks.

Edit 3: New and improved animation. I used Cubic InOut easing for the arms and optimized those keyframes. Also rotated the legs outwards a bit.

Sorry if I am harsh but:

The torso lacks movement. Make the torso move up and down as it runs/walks.
The limb movement is too robotic and stiff. Use interpolations other than linear as well as add more movement.

For the new one I still find it stiff as the arms have almost to no movement.

1 Like

Something else with realistic movement of the legs, when you walk your feet or legs point slightly outward, and don’t make the animation too straight or else it will lack variation and look less realistic.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. My only excuse is that is was 10:30 when I finished the animation., so I was very tired, I will fix it right now though.

I rotated the arms, but completely forgot about the legs. Thanks for pointing that out.