Wanting To Build A Big City But Don't Know Where To Start

So, I am trying to build a big city full of roads and buildings! The problem is, where do I start? I keep attempting it but I never finish, please give me some help on how to build a city, since I’m a beginner at building.

2 Likes

definitely plan out what you wanna do first, i like to draw maps in paint3d or paint.net for example

then figure out what you’re gonna do first whether that be roads or essential buildings
have maybe a props kit to place around like street lamps or trash cans

2 Likes

That’s the thing, what do I plan? My problem is where do I start? The Bridge? The Town?

Draw a full detailed map, I always do that, with pencil and paper, then, I make a minuscule version of the city in roblox, and finally I start building the real thing, don’t start on a toilet, start on something more iconic and important.

3 Likes

Can you send me a model/sample of what the map should look like? What I mean is the template for it. Is there a color marking system?

1. Draw a layout
  2. Block it out using parts in studio (just rectangle parts)
  3. Fill in details with higher quality buildings that you make
1 Like

Here’s what I would do because I’m on the same page as you but I have several things in mind.
First of all, listen to what the other developers are saying by making a map on paint.net so that you have a rough idea on what you want. And depending on what type of city you want, you can take a look on Google Earth where you can get an idea on what buildings you want. For me, I’m compressing the city I want where I can make two be one city as the buildings can blend well together.

Next, I would recommend once you have that map, start off with a few buildings and a roadway for the desired area you want and build from there. Remember that Roblox will lag if the city is too big, so it’s best you have it compressed with a city block since most cities are grid like which makes things easier. Don’t forget to make the blocks you place for the city blend in so that it’s not like it’s from full beach to inner city where it feels like you crossed a border in a cartoon.

With terrain, I would recommend making the roads angle up or down however you need to be because every city has terrain involved so you need to get that implemented and for the buildings you need to make sure they fit with the inclines too so it doesn’t look odd. You can always add terrain underneath the roads and sidewalks where needed or simply use the part to terrain plugin.

Bridges are meant to connect the cities since they are bordered by water, so considering that it’s just a city right now, it’ll be and island. So you need to make separate islands and then make the bridges but make sure they fit with the roads so it’s not like you’re on an alley road and then you use that road to bridge through. You’ll want more of a highway style road for that.

In conclusion, I recommend to listen to what the others said here and then start small with like smaller buildings and then slowly work your way up. It’s a long process to make a city but in the end, it’ll be worth it when you get it the way you like it. I hope this helps!