Warning message for GetSortedAsync throttles is inaccurate

I’m putting this in client bugs although I’ve only verified this in Studio.

When I’m testing servers in Studio, my server console is flooded with this error:

Notice the bug: there is no key specified. I only use Async methods in one place, and I heavily logged that area to make sure I wasn’t searching empty keys: I’m not.

I haven’t developed on this place in the last month, and can’t remember if this happened before.

You can read my source code here so you know I’m not crazy and using empty keys by mistake.

This happens every time I try to test.

UPDATE: I FOUND A REPRO CASE.

This seems to be the message for when :GetSortedAsync throttles, that’s why there’s an empty key - GetSortedAsync doesn’t use a key.

throttle bug.rbxl (13.7 KB)

4 Likes

I’ve gotten this and am also not using any empty keys to my knowledge as well.

1 Like

I think I’m figuring out the issue…do you use OrderedDataStores at all? I think this is the throttle message for OrderedDataStores, and that’s the bug.

EDIT: Bingo. Got it. Updating the post.

Also getting this. If GetSortedAsync(false,100) counts as 1 request and not 100 I’m pretty sure I’m not hitting the limit. If I am there should be 1 throttle but right now my console is flooded.

Unrelated but ordered data store throttles are ridiculously low. You get seven uses for one player in a minute, then nine uses for the second. Only goes up by two.

I see. I only use it for leaderboard so that’s one GetSortedAsync every 10 minutes and one IncrementAsync when player leaves.

I just filed an encompassing report here:

I think the message for GetSortedAsync throttles should be changed to be specific, i.e:

18:48:14.651 - GetSortedAsync request was throttled. Try sending fewer requests.

Making it clear that:

• It involved a GetSortedAsync call, since it is a warning it can’t be easily traced back otherwise.
  • No "Key = " appendix because it is not relevant for this call.

The same should also be done for AdvanceToNextPageAsync, i.e.:

18:48:14.651 - AdvanceToNextPageAsync request was throttled. Try sending fewer requests.
1 Like

Thank you for submitting this report. We are currently reviewing all bug reports to ensure we have not overlooked any ongoing issues. Since this issue was reported over two years ago, can you please confirm you are still experiencing the problem? If so, please respond to this thread, and we will investigate. If we do not receive any response within 30 days, we will consider this matter resolved. Thank you.

Seems to work now.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.