Water Animations (Waves)

Question, is there any way to script the wave height and water speed that is available as terrain by selection? What I mean by selection, is the differential height and/or splash of waves against other terrains from choice. For example, if I was to select an area and use a transparent part to mark the selection of area I have chosen, would there be a way to make that general area have a different water speed and wave height than the other un-selected areas?

1 Like

No. These properties pertain to all uses of terrain water. You can edit the properties locally and sort your map into regions but I myself probably wouldn’t. Doesn’t seem worth the trouble for a small aesthetic change.

2 Likes

From what I know, I don’t think so since the terrain property applies to all terrain. Changing a property will apply to it all such as if its water, it will only change water but all of it. There can’t be a selected area but there is a work around to it I’m pretty sure but might not work in certain cases.

Some ways you can work around it is 1, to change the property when you enter that area. A good example of this working would be Theme Park Tycoon, there’s an item in their game that allows you to change the water terrain color in your park but if you were to enter somebody else’s park, their water color would be different since it loads in that chunk of area of their park when you walk into their park. Basically think of chunks, when you walk into it, it changes based on that chunk’s properties and such.

A similar way you can also do this is have a part thats invisible, put it over the ocean, and have it like a hitbox. When a player enters the hitbox, the property will tween the value of the WaterWaveSize.

Other than those two, i’m pretty sure that you cant have an area of water clashing against another one in a selection. Sorry for the long graph but yea :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit:

Has to be client sided to make sure it doesn’t affect everybody in the server.

3 Likes

That is not possible unless you change them through client-side by being at different areas.

Scenario Example

Player1 is at Area_A, the waves are set to A.
Player1 walks and touches Area_B, the waves are set to B.
Player2 joins, and starts at Area_A, their waves are A.

Methods

• Region3 – recommended for no usage of parts
  • GetTouchingParts
  • Touched – recommended for BasePart instances

Side note: You only have to fire this once.

2 Likes