Way to turn off user-made ads

You guys can keep discussing this idea but I can tell you we’re not going to make user-made ads optional. Builders Club blocks you from seeing offsite ads and video pre-roll ads. That’s what you’re paying for.

Moved to: http://developer.roblox.com/forum/web-features/16998-tailor-the-games-page-user-made-ads-to-interests-demographics since it’s an entirely different request

If people could block usermade ads, it would be a lot harder for people that aren’t “popular” or have a fanbase of some sort to get noticed. I too really hate ads, but I think they are needed to get people’s game/name out there to the public. Otherwise it’s just up to dumb luck, or an attempt to try and convince users one by one to try out your game.

[quote] They only thing I think is bad about ROBLOX’s advertising system is that there are plenty clearly inappropriate (non usermade) ads that make it to the site. Granted there are plenty of older users on the website, the idea of seeing alcohol, or sex ads (or implicated sex ads ) on ROBLOX just seems flat out wrong when they are promoted as a great kids website.

I have seen both of these sort of ads on the site before, and although I don’t mind I am also not a parent. [/quote]

I might be wrong, but im pretty sure it uses google adsense to promote ads to customers based on their agerange/profile
you know, like every other website in the world. so while you’re seeing alcohol and sex ads, the kids see barny and cartoon network.

[quote] They only thing I think is bad about ROBLOX’s advertising system is that there are plenty clearly inappropriate (non usermade) ads that make it to the site. Granted there are plenty of older users on the website, the idea of seeing alcohol, or sex ads (or implicated sex ads ) on ROBLOX just seems flat out wrong when they are promoted as a great kids website.

I have seen both of these sort of ads on the site before, and although I don’t mind I am also not a parent. [/quote]

I might be wrong, but im pretty sure it uses google adsense to promote ads to customers based on their agerange/profile
you know, like every other website in the world. so while you’re seeing alcohol and sex ads, the kids see barny and cartoon network.[/quote]

I see your point but their are kids who lie about their age (i know I used to)

Either way i definitely see your point

1 Like

It’s not based on age. It’s based on your browsing history. If you’re getting rated R+ ads like the guy at the Atlanta maker faire then it’s because that’s what you’ve been browsing.

Start fiddler, turn on the auto-responder, and make a rule as follows:
Rule Match: regex:(?inx)^http://www.roblox.com/userads/.$
Rule Response: 204_NoContent.dat

I’m not totally sure whether this works because I have NBC so roblox hardly ever shows me user ads.

Edit: I tested by using the “Meanwhile on ROBLOX…” here on rbxdev and it appears to work.

What am I doing wrong?

Looks right to me. It worked for me, if it’s not working for you then idk what’s wrong.

Restarting studio solved the problem. Thank you!

To be honest, I don’t mind seeing the ads that are relevant and good quality. Irrelevant ads (and copyright ads) on the other hand stink.
The issue is the majority of the time, only BC people see user made ads, and few click the ads due to the fact they are never relative to what I play/own. The airline ads make sense for me to be seeing because I make planes, but war groups and obbies for admin not really.

Also you can just add AdBlock Plus filters if you’re really desperate. Just “inspect” the ad iframe on chrome or whatever and then you’ll see the URL where the ads are coming from. Add those to the filter and you’re golden. In the past, doing so sometimes messes up the formatting on the Roblox page though.

I don’t endorse doing so, and I’m not going to do that myself, but I’ve tested it and it works.

“Trust me, advertisements don’t affect me”