Way to turn off user-made ads

I use AdBlock for Chrome/Firefox, but in Studio there’s no way to block these obnoxious user-made ads. I’d pay good money to get these ridiculous things out of my face. There’s an idea for you.

2 Likes

…shouldn’t this be in Studio features…?

EDIT: Ohhh I bet you love that ===========>
/le troll

@Han: It’s not exclusive to studio. It’d get rid of user-made ads on the site completely (some people don’t like AdBlock and refuse to use it but would still be happy to see the user-made ads go)

@Osyris: User-made ads are stored on rbxcdn (example) – If I blocked those with Fiddler I’d be blocking all assets for studio.

And yes, I only see ads when I go to install a plugin or some other reason that never occurs frequently, but user-made ads are just that bad. I want to shoot myself every time I see one.

People who block ads don’t click ads in the first place, that’s why ad companies comply with adbock, instead of making workarounds, and in many cases, they actually make it easier on adblock to identify them

It would be more valuable as an advertiser to allow users to block, as you don’t waste view on them

The problem you mention in the end of your post is invalidated by your first sentence. :stuck_out_tongue: Since people who want to block these ads are already ignoring them to begin with.

Why would ROBLOX intentionally go against a core feature they created? 1st of all: Ad Block works fine, and 2ndly: Roblox mad the ad system for their content creators, and if players think their ads will be reaching a lot less people because of this then less will be making ads (which may be what you want, but overall it’s not good for the community.)

“1st of all: Ad Block works fine”
Start reading threads pls. AdBlock doesn’t work in studio.

“2ndly: Roblox mad the ad system for their content creators”
Read what Weeve posted. Content creators don’t want ads shown to people who aren’t going to click the ads

That’s a good point. As a ROBLOX game maker, I wouldn’t want people to be able to block ads that I’m running. The big difference here is that it’s all internal. The ads are related to ROBLOX, thus are already geared toward the majority of people on the site. They aren’t leading you to some shady site to buy offbrand lawnmowers or whatever.

I have ad-blocker since I hate ads, but I enjoy some of the Roblox ones. Sometimes you’ll find a good one and end up finding a game that’s actually really cool that you wouldn’t have found otherwise.

1 Like

[quote] “1st of all: Ad Block works fine”
Start reading threads pls. AdBlock doesn’t work in studio.

“2ndly: Roblox mad the ad system for their content creators”
Read what Weeve posted. Content creators don’t want ads shown to people who aren’t going to click the ads [/quote]

Weeve can’t speak for every content creator, only himself. If it were me advertising I would also want people to see my ad even if they don’t click it.

"If it were me advertising I would also want people to see my ad even if they don’t click it. "

That’s just failure to use good judgement. If someone was 100% guaranteed to not click your ad, you’d have to be extremely dense to still want to waste an impression on them.

[quote] "If it were me advertising I would also want people to see my ad even if they don’t click it. "

That’s just failure to use good judgement. If someone was 100% guaranteed to not click your ad, you’d have to be extremely dense to still want to waste an impression on them. [/quote]

You’re looking at it the wrong way (and might I say in a very rude way), An Impression as far as I can tell is also someone knowing my content exists. Its like a TV commercial- Coka-Cola Doesn’t expect you to press your TV screen when you see their commercial, they expect that the broadcaster they paid (the same way ROBLOX players pay ROBLOX their virtual currency) broadcasts the ad the same as ROBLOX users asked and paid for their ads to be AT LEAST shown to the websites users.

Let me rephrase: You’d never want to waste impressions on someone who was 100% guaranteed to never take interest in your product. I am not interested in petty war groups, dank memes, or blatantly copied ads. Using an impression on me is a waste.

1 Like

It doesn’t waste anything on ROBLOX. I’m not personally losing anything by showing you the ad (even if you don’t want to see it), so it’s to my benefit that at least you know the content is there.

Smells like entitlement

Smells like unhappy customer because ROBLOX still doesn’t tailor ads/games to the user’s age/tastes

Smells like unhappy customer because ROBLOX still doesn’t tailor ads/games to the user’s age/tastes[/quote]

That’s a good suggestion. I didn’t know that was the reason you didn’t like user-made ads though.

They only thing I think is bad about ROBLOX’s advertising system is that there are plenty clearly inappropriate (non usermade) ads that make it to the site. Granted there are plenty of older users on the website, the idea of seeing alcohol, or sex ads (or implicated sex ads ) on ROBLOX just seems flat out wrong when they are promoted as a great kids website.

I have seen both of these sort of ads on the site before, and although I don’t mind I am also not a parent.

The problem with the argument of “Wasting an impression” is that we don’t buy impressions, we bid for a percentage of the market. If the ad doesn’t appear for you, it may quite possible not appear for anyone that one time because there aren’t enough users online.

You still waste impressions. Let’s imagine your game is a tycoon. If you could choose between 5% of all ROBLOX users or 5% of users who are known to continually play tycoons, which of the two would you select to be the audience for your ad?