Ways in expanding scripting knowledge?

1. What do you want to achieve?

I want to expand what I know about programming in Roblox Studio, such as understand more and more features that I can use when developing games.

2. What is the issue?

I’ve tried video tutorials and looking for what I need on the Roblox Wiki, but I want to learn what I specifically need to know to program games. Every tutorial I look up is about something I already know. I want to learn more, but my current resources do not seem to be helping me.

3. What solutions have you thought of so far?

The only solution I could think of was asking the Roblox Developer Forum Community for assistance. Though, I have tried the Lua Learning game, it does not seem to be of much help when wanting to learn something new (it’s still helpful at times when I don’t understand something, overall a great guide).

The way I program is very basic, and I know that learning to program requires lots of work, so I’m willing to take notes of anything new I come across that can help me in the future.

This is my first Topic, sorry if I did anything wrong or didn’t give enough information.

2 Likes

Use the search bar, there are many topics in this.

I understand what you’re saying, sadly, I don’t know how to help. But I can say that you’ve come to the right crowd. I don’t think I agree with @ScytheSlayin. This is the perfect topic to have created and sometimes the search bar doesn’t always give you the answers you are looking for. I’m sorry I couldn’t be of any help on this subject :confused:

Edit: If you ever wanted to learn other scripting languages (such as Javascript) I would recommend khan academy. It is a great learning resource

3 Likes

https://devforum.roblox.com/search?context=topic&context_id=382578&q=How%20to%20learn%20how%20to%20script&skip_context=true

@devNovachrono this will help you :arrow_up::arrow_up::arrow_up:

Literally there is more than 50+ results on this one topic, and you post dosent contribute at all since you don’t help the OP.

@ScytheSlayin

Probably just a glitch.

One of the ways that I increase my knowledge is by trying to recreate a certain behavior (e.g. a loading screen) and then try to make my own implementation. Even if it isn’t perfect, it is a great way of using skills and APIs in a practical environment, rather than just printing stuff to the output. Over time, you can reuse those skills in new projects and get better at it.

I typed this on mobile, please excuse any typos.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forums!

I answered a question like yours just some hours ago, and I believe I answered it properly as well :stuck_out_tongue:
So I’m going to send you the link to it here and I hope it helps: Help with advancing my scripting experience?

3 Likes

If you’re just starting off the best thing you can do is to simply pick something you would like to be able to make and just start trying to do it YOUR way, no matter if you think it is bad or terrible.

Get stuck? Try using free models to help you get started. Don’t rely on these too much as most free models tend to have a lot of bad practices. Then move on to asking on the forum for more specific help.

I started off learning how to move bricks with scripts, then making VIP doors (doors that would only let you through if your name was on a list). Through the simple things you learn the building blocks to create bigger things.

Start small, and you will find yourself with the knowledge to make much bigger things.

If you are looking for a good series to get you started I would highly recommend this series by peaspod, he then has a more advanced (though still basic really) series once you finish the beginners one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3dbJXSa12Q

1 Like

I recommended his series in the past, but was warned of his use of bad practice. Be weary.

I haven’t watched them in a long time but I still think they are certainly good for at least getting your foot in the door.

1 Like

Best way to learn is to look at different codes and recreate statements.

There are several ways you can improve your lua scripting knowledge, both from direct roblox websites and from youtube tutorials.

In terms of roblox websites, the API reference as well as just browsing the dev forum are two great ways to improve your lua knowledge without leaving roblox. For youtube, several channels such as AlvinBlox and DutchDeveloper are great sources of lua information, though its mostly a case of looking for what you need in the moment.

Alternatively, a majority of developers including myself have learned from reading, dissecting, and modifying game codes that have been open sourced by their developers. If you are interested in learning this way, I personally recommend Ruddev’s Battle Royale and Miner’s Haven as they are examples of what great coding looks like.

Overall, scripting is typically something you have to learn through trial and error, so if you take enough time just making a game, even if it’s not the best, you’re still going to learn more and more each time. It’s a matter of putting in the effort over long periods of time to perfect each individual skill.

2 Likes

It’s not so much bad practice, as it is severely outdated. Most of pea’s tutorials were made in either 2013 or 2014, and a lot of the things he was making tutorials on are either depreciated or are for the most part completely changed. But like @Askavix said, its definitely good for beginner scripters to get their foot in the door.

Thank you for the advice. I’ve already seen all of peaspod’s tutorials (honestly my favorite). It wouldn’t hurt to watch again though.

I’ve never seen the Roblox API Reference or heard of DutchDeveloper. I’ve been looking into it, and the API seems to be very helpful in what I’m looking for. I will also watch as much of Dutch’s videos as I can. Thank you!

1 Like

If you want to go advanced, check out some of EgoMoose’s stuff perhaps: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMPpTwmNG_VO0DtZvQoGbrg/videos

1 Like

Make a game which you think will only take you 1 month (it’ll take longer) and you think you know how to do most of it, but there are a few elements you’re not sure of.

Following tutorials isn’t that helpful in terms of actually getting to the point where you can make decent games, whats far more useful is actually making small games. Plus you’ll have a portfolio to show when you want to join a dev team

1 Like