We’ve Rebuilt Sponsored Games!

Good work, seems like a good update for sponsors.

There is some controversy on the gender part, but the purpose is girls would likely be targeted with ads that are more for girls (like royale high), and boys would likely be targeted with ads more for boys (like Jailbreak). Of course, there is no problem if a girl likes Jailbreak or if a boy likes Royal high, its just statistics.

3 Likes

Uhm, I don’t think ads targeting by gender is “sexism”, I see your point, but that statistics show what boy/girl users on Roblox like more.

2 Likes

I feel like the discussion about the gender targeting features is really unnecessary.

At the end of the day, if they want to, boys are going to go into girl targeted games and girls are going to boy targeted games.

Like many have mentioned, it all comes down to analytics. Not Roblox trying to be immoral or whatever and forcing gender roles🙄

7 Likes

Has anybody run an advert on the new sponsorship update? Sponsoring is now dead for me with this new update. I ran a 15,000 Robux sponsored advert yesterday and received less traffic than each of my previous 10 days without an advert, and 5x less yield VS previous adverts on the old sponsor platform, using the same Robux daily spend, same audience and for the same game - how does that work?!?

The CTR on the new sponsor platform was 0.032% whereas my previous ads on the old sponsor platform were an average of 0.156% (across all devices to match the new single ad across all devices). So it yielded almost 5x less than the old sponsored adverts! I know that this is a single try at the new update VS lots of ads on the old sponsored ads but I’m not willing to throw away more Robux when the drop in results is this extreme. I have never had an advert come anywhere near this level of poor performance.

I like new innovation but they must have also updated the advert performance, which has had a massively negative effect and made spending Robux on advertising a lot more expensive.

Is this something that Roblox will be fixing or is this and intentional move to make more money? I hope that it’s not the latter and can be fixed.

3 Likes

Oh how the almighty lords at ROBLOX have blessed us.

This is such a great change for developers and community members alike. The chance to extend how long our sponsors/advertisements will last and to adjust what sort of demographic that they will show up for will be an extremely useful feature in the long run.

As mentioned a few replies above you, this is due to the new sorts being moved around. Players must scroll in order to even see a sponsor as it currently is.

3 Likes

Yeah I agree to this, not every girl is some royale high or adopt me addict. It would be pretty insulting for every female player to just get raise a family and fashion show games for the ads on their screen. Because they may like racing games or war games the most. And boys make like fashion show games as well.

1 Like

Ok this is amazing although I do think roblox should remove the “Gender” option because I think that would lead to ALOT of issues but besides that I think its amazing, I always wanted to be able to make ads that target a certain age group because my meme games get disliked because younger kids don’t understand them.

3 Likes

But even though mostly girls play royale high that does not mean Every girl plays royale high. You could look on arsenal which roblox may call it a boys game and tons of girls play that too. Gender targeting may make games a bit more successful. But doing that i feel is really insulting to each gender

I agree. Doing the gender targeting wont make a difference. If somebody wants to play a raise a family game or a shooter game they can just search it up and they will play it.

1 Like

Yesterday I saw that they were updating group funds to 7 days and it made me mad. When I saw this I think it evened it out.

1 Like

This is a very good update, nice to see these things improve! Nice job

2 Likes

Well some games are targeted towards girls. Some are targeted towards boys. I think that this is a good update.

2 Likes

Thanks for pointing this out @NoahG59. So in essence, the new sponsor update would have actually been a big leap forward if they hadn’t have killed sponsor ads with the new sorting rules. Is that right? Am I fair to say that? It’s a big bummer because advertising now yields results too low to justify any spending. This arises the question of why put the time and effort into trying to improve the sponsor features, when sponsoring now has little benefit. I’m an open minded person and I’m right to question motive when there is zero upside for developers. The only place for developers to spend robux previously was in advertising, otherwise we’d have to forfeit 80% in greedy commission rates if we chose to cashout (yeah, it might make no sense not to cash out to some but I’m happy letting my daughter have endless robux to spend and enjoy in games, rather than letting Roblox take 80% of it through the ‘almighty generous’ DevEx). Do you think they do these things to stop people from getting any value at all out of their earned robux?

2 Likes

I like how Roblox won’t do a good “by interest” sort or tagging system but will shove sponsored games out of the way.

As for the gender argument, marketing is not to blame for gender stereotypes. Marketing always reacts to trends, such as stereotypes. In other words, they are reactive; not proactive. If or when gender stereotypes stop being a thing, marketing will reflect that. Until then, it makes no sense to not have this option. It is not economical to consider outliers and exceptions when dealing with large chunks of population, such as the millions-strong playerbase of a gaming platform.

It gets to the point were you can say that about anything. yeah theres gonna be some boys playing royale high but the point of ads and sponsorships is for the game to become more successful. Besides, its not insulting to the players because they dont know whats showing up for what, it could be a ad for everybody they have no clue.

1 Like

Unbelievable that some developers opt to take this update and turn it into a political campaign.

Believe it or not but there are several million users on this platform that identify as a specific gender. Give us the option to target users that didn’t choose a gender, and we’re all set. Stop complaining.

15 Likes

your right. players that are 7-9 years old would not even care for the ad. but older players may feel insulted by it. but I know that most people just ignore ads anyway which means most people probably wont even notice unless they noticed this update

yeah your right. I kinda regret arguing about this. As long as their is an option to target both user then most people are set. and if people begin to have a problem they can just report it

This is great! Sponsoring games is so much better.