We’ve Rebuilt Sponsored Games!

This is what the community wanted since, still I’m hoping that this update is good.

Instead of all the arguing between having gender-based targeting or not… (the choice is not that binary)

It would be great if I could target audiences depending on the types of games or specific other games they played recently. This is really how I want to target my ads, gender is just a weaker derivation of that data. If we have that feature, we don’t need gender-based advertising.

25 Likes

I think that a good approach Roblox should take is to build profiles about which ads people actually click on. For example, let’s say I just sign up, Roblox should show me ads that has been targeted at both boys and girls. Then, they should look at which ones I actually click on and start to add weight to the ads that actually interest me.

If I set my gender as female, I should still get ads for army games and if I set my gender as male, I should still get ads for princess games. Then, when I start to show preference to one or the other, Roblox should add weight to a specific gender.

5 Likes

I second a lot of the general sentiment in this post about gender stereotyping - in my mind, having gendered sponsorship options could cause a positive feedback loop reinforcing gender stereotypes, which isn’t great. I’d rather have interest-based sponsorship options so I can target people who’ve shown interest in certain categories, topics or game genres instead - I’d find that a lot more useful :slightly_smiling_face:

14 Likes

I’m having the same issue with mine :frowning:

looks like they haven’t enabled ad runs of more than one day yet. it will still work if you run it for one day with all the targeting.

1 Like

It’s cool and all but who has access to the new sponsor game feature? People in the beta program? Top Contributor?

Man I feel like giving my opinion on this would just lead to me getting backlash outside of the restriction, good rebuilt I like it.

Outliers don’t represent the average

6 Likes

As far as I’m aware the theory behind the phenomena is not certain. However, I find it unlikely that showing different types of games to different genders will influence what type of game they enjoy. They may just enjoy these games because other people who are their gender play them, and they can relate to that, or because they have different interests (for example, in many other species gender roles exist). In my opinion, it is a good stopgap measure until we can target based on interests.

This is way more underwhelming that I thought it would be, I am very disappointed.

Are you serious? You say “basic age targeting” but you only give us under 13 or above, that’s binary age targeting.

The only improvement on the system here is the Budget per day and how long the ad should run, and it doesn’t even work properly.

At least this was thought of

And didn’t you guys removed gender on sign-up? So how would this work effectively if at all?

this is my feedback on the current state of this beta feature so far

1 Like

This is going to be an awesome feature! Being able to target only 13+ is super important for my games. By the numbers, Framed and Legendary are most popular among 13+ males, so I’m happy I’ll be getting more bang for my buck from sponsors rather than a large portion of the money going toward people who have no interest in playing my game.

2 Likes

Good points here. I still think this update will encourage gender stereotyping, which can lead to sexism. But at this point there’s no benefit to arguing, Roblox will do what they deem fit in this situation.

We got to be practical here though.

That’s not what we’re saying though, no one is born with anything society influences them.

I think you can agree with me that there are certain things that certain groups generally like. For example, girls usually might like barbie dolls, while boys usually like cars. Which would be more practical if your selling barbie dolls? Advertising to a certain group which usually likes this sorta stuff or advertise it to everyone, spending ad budget to get only a few customers from that group since they don’t like it as much.

That doesn’t mean boys can’t play with barbie dolls, if they wanted to they could go buy one from the seller. We aren’t discriminating against him in any way, we just are catering our product to a different group, but by all means, if he wants it we give it to him.

I don’t get your point why would you waste add resources targeting 5-year-olds when your selling computers?

2 Likes

Just look at @M_caw’s track record and you’ll see why their focus is on social issues instead of business.

Can’t let the loud few disrupt progress for the majority. Though I think we need to be able to drill down further, this is a great v1, and drilling down by gender is an excellent metric (industry-standard even).

3 Likes

Hey, I don’t have access to this option. How would I gain access to the new sponsor section? I have a friend on his account he never really used, that haves nothing on it. And that account haves access to the new sponsor section.sponsor

We are gradually rolling out the new Sponsored Games over the coming weeks, so if you aren’t able to access it today, you will be soon.

That quote from the OP may help you. The feature currently is not available to everyone.

Good update, can you stop giving group ads to people already in the group now? Feels like a scam and waste of money when like 30% of views come from people that are already in the group.

2 Likes

wow your group must have a crazy amount of people for anything over 1%…

this is of views not clicks, and I get constant DMs from members saying “WE FOUND YOUR AD!” and they see it as funny I see it as a massive waste of R$. I see my own ad at least 100 times every time I run it. Its a stupid facade roblox puts up to make you think its working better than it is.

2 Likes