We need more groups for other types of developers

There is a difference between testing without skill, and a skilled tester. Just check out the QA Testers of Robloxia if you need proof that these people are specialized.

Testing is not developing however, they do not contribute to the development of the game but rather give feedback and find bugs.

Anywho, does it exactly matter? It is just simply a title next to your name which could even be stated in your bio.

4 Likes

True, however, many people do not look into bios. They want a quick answer. When responding to questions about building under #help-and-feedback:building-support, most of the time the OP wants to see someone with the “Builder” title. It’s more or less for the people too lazy to find out what you do.

Well I would suggest to those whom look for those with the ‘Builder’ title to not do so; there is no review to see if you are even a builder. Heck, even I could join the group and my building skills are crap.

3 Likes

I agree, however I cannot change the minds of people. If they are going to be that way, there is sadly nothing we can do. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I think my sentiments about this are very similar to another thread about this. I think that new groups are a good idea, I just don’t think that these groups specifically have enough of a population that needs them.

Terrain artist, in my opinion, is a very niche category. I know a considerable number of people use Roblox Terrain, I just don’t know how many people pride themselves over strictly their terrain-building skills above anything else.

This is true, but I think all of these are very distinct categories that are different enough to warrant their own groups. Composers make music/sfx - which is completely different from anything else. Although I suppose it is a small community, what they do is so different yet essential that it definitely warrants a new group. (Whereas terrain artist is very much ambiguous). Modelers make 3D models, which although similar to building, tends to have a completely different outcome/use case than building. UI Designers I feel can be on platform imo. This group encompasses not only those who make art assets for UI, but also plan out and organize UI (such as “when the player clicks this button, x should happen”).

Terrain artists just feels like either modeling or building to me, which is who I would want even if I had a question on Terrain. It just doesn’t feel different enough to building or modeling, but I don’t have enough experience to be an authority on this.

QA Tester I think is a very controversial one. I think that people don’t realize that QA Testers are supposed to actually have knowledge about how to properly stress test a game and how to hunt down every bug they can. What people will actually think about this role is that it’s just some average joe who likes to play games, which is why I don’t see a lot of people needing this role here right now. I do think it is a good idea though.

1 Like

However, Composer is a very niche category as well.

I agree. When I think of QA tester, I do not mean your average Roblox player who plays games. I’m looking for the people who are specialized at finding bugs.

composers make… sounds… like one of the most crucial elements of development… how is that comparable

I’m comparing how niche the two categories are… Please read what I wrote before posting. :slightly_smiling_face:

composers are not niche, google before posting

1 Like

However, on Roblox, they are. We do not have a lot of them, and it’s very specific. We are talking in terms of game development.

most games do actually have sounds, the problem is that low-quality games prefer free stuff instead of paying actual composer to make them sounds

3 Likes

Might just be me but doesn’t #help-and-feedback:game-design-support encompass all of these ‘niche’ game designing categories.

We are not talking about #help-and-feedback, we are talking about Groups, like the roles near your name.

@Legoracer | This is exactly my point. I am talking in terms of Roblox, not other platforms.

The concept still applies. Just use the Game Designer tag

I disagree. To put that Terrain Artists, one of the most crucial elements in Roblox game development, should fit under Game Designer is a bad idea.

Difference is composers can’t be encompassed in other role, while terrain artists can (builders).
Builders by definition should be people who “build” your world, doesn’t matter if they use terrain or parts to do so.

I’m not going to continue this argument as it’s getting off topic. Feel free to send me a DM if you want.

I think this is called a Builder. I remember there being a tag for that too. In all the games I’ve made and hired people to work on, anyone who was listed for making terrain was hired on as builder.

My point is that these should be separated. Terrain Art is a big enough category to be separate. If we can separate Artists from Clothing Designers, we can separate these two.