We should be allowed to post videos with larger memory

Why I think we should have more than 10MB for uploading Videos in the devforum.

Reasons

• Whenever I want to record a video for the devforums. I have to shrink the size of the file. (I’m in laptop) So I have to go to this good website that helps me to change the resolution of the video to a lower one, to shrink down the video size.

• It takes so much time to shrink the the file size, I first have to take my file to here and reduce the resolution to 720p (depending the the length of the video) and then I have to download the less resolution video. And I have to delete the original video, then I post the smaller one to the devforum. That takes me so much time to do.

• When the video I want to send is too long, I have to lower the resolution all the way to 240p or sometimes 144p That will really reduce the quality of the video and it makes it harder for other people to see the video (Especially when I need help)

I recommend you to change the video limit from 10MB to 70MB

7 Likes

agreed, i cant upload most videos because of this, not only that, they should make video uploading faster, i had to wait 7 minutes to upload a 5 mb video

1 Like

Why not just use Streamable or Gyazo?

1 Like

some people dosent want to sign up for these websites like me

2 Likes

Well if you don’t want to use Streamable and Gyazo, then just use youtube and just make the video unlisted cause everybody literally uses Youtube.

a recommendation i have meanwhile is that if you’re doing screen recordings, then shareX has some crazy good screen recording for sharing around in posts, it creates some crazily small files while still being really good quality wise. If you use any other screenshot software, I recommend you move to it. Takes a while to get used to, but it’s great.

You could upload it to YouTube?

First of all, I’d recommend using H.265 video if you’re not already using it (haven’t tried uploading one yet because OBS doesn’t have an option for it, and I have to process it through video editing software)

For example, look at this comparison for a 5 minute video (at 8400kbps bitrate):

Compared to this video in H.264 which is about 4x bigger in size (I know lengths don’t match up but they are similar enough):

But the problem is, uploading in YouTube is a bit slow, and it would be nice to directly to upload to forum.

Discourse is not great at hosting large files and doesn’t have utilities for automatically scaling down video to an appropriate size on upload. It would not be ideal if someone is browsing a thread on mobile and has to spend a large portion of their mobile budget downloading a large video without any prompt.

We’re not currently planning to support this for that reason. I recommend recording your work as GIF, using external video uploading sites that do have proper compression features and can serve lower-quality versions to mobile users or users with slow internet, or optimizing the video on your local device before uploading as you have been doing.

7 Likes