Weapons for the UGC market ? What about the ToS?

Hello there!

I am currently working with a UGC group in the role of a creator (not an uploader). Our content spans various historical periods, ranging from antiquity to modern times, including significant historical events like the Napoleonic War, World War I, World War II, and the Cold War. We are in the process of planning the creation of weapons such as rifles and pistols. However, I am aware that Roblox has certain restrictions on the inclusion of firearms in its platform, as stated in their Terms of Service:

“Roblox prohibits the use of realistic modern firearms, with the exception of in-experience items.”

My primary concern, given the current state of the market, is whether Roblox now accepts realistic weaponry from World War II and the modern era. If not, what exactly does Roblox define as “modern firearms”? Is it anything post-1900 or post-1920?

For instance, if I were to create a WWI rifle for the UGC market, would it be allowed? Would we need to add an orange tip to categorize it as a toy and ensure compliance with Roblox’s rules?

2 Likes

In essence, you may upload any kinds of weapons but with a reduction of realism and level of details. Rifles and bayonets have appeared numerously in the catalog, but their commonalities are the low/mid-poly style adapted from the real world model.

2 Likes

Thank you for your response. I’ve been questioning myself since the Roblox Terms of Service (ToS) is a bit unclear on certain aspects. I’ve reached out to customer support multiple times, but unfortunately, I haven’t received any meaningful assistance. It often feels like they just direct me to click on various links without addressing my specific concerns. I believe Roblox could do more to help its playerbase and developers understand how to adhere to their rules.

While some aspects of the ToS are straightforward, others can be quite confusing. For instance, the rules around weapons seem to vary from one day to another. I’m particularly interested in finding more detailed explanations for these ambiguous points.

Unfortunately, as the Roblox ToS isn’t as rigorous as national laws, I can’t give you any direct quotes. Just observe the catalog. Many old and modern firearms are featured but none are ever realistic.