Webhooks Breaking Discord's Developer TOS?

If I were to create a Webhook using Discord, then post certain info based on in-game events, e.g., someone sending a report, would this be considered collecting data from an <13 user?

Not trying to look for legal advice, just wondering if anyone has a system like this, and if so, have you encountered any legal trouble/trouble from Discord?

Edit: This section specifically: https://github.com/discord/discord-api-docs/blob/b9edace323c9df64c79f104d85984690ae4e2977/docs/Legal.md#13-children

1 Like

While I’m not sure about specifically the collecting data from <13 users part, I do know that you are not allowed to use webhooks to log.

Discord is not a logging service, and they have made it very clear. They actively take down webhooks that surpass a certain threshold and will recommend other services if they detect you using it wrong. While there are ways around this, just make sure your webhook doesn’t act specfically like a log for things like errors or reports. Errors are a big one they’ve been struggling with as a lot of devs on Roblox were using it to log errors which led to them banning Roblox from the API at one point (along with other factors). Roblox is unbanned now but be careful.

By the way - the Discord staff are extremely chill. I know this may be unprofessional to put here on the forum, but they are extremely easy to reach out to. You can join one of the official Discord servers and you can just ask them in chat about any questions. While the community managers may not be able to answer it, they will probably ask someone from legal or one of the devs.

The only problem I can see is possibly Roblox as they may see it as infringing on collection of data. So you may want to also ask whether Roblox has given any trouble for something like this, which I know nothing of

2 Likes

I see. Previously I have used Webhooks to post info from an auto-generator, which in hindsight was a mistake… I just checked though and I’m fairly sure it’s still up and they never emailed me.

I’ll be reaching out to them via an official server. Thanks again.

The <13 part worries me a bit, but I should hopefully be fine as long as I don’t collect any Personal Info as defined by COPPA.

1 Like