Website Avatar Editor causes Chrome crashes / lag

Reproduction Steps

This is an issue in which numerous people I associate with have come across as well, reproduction would be to go to the avatar editor, unaware if this is an issue with other search engines beyond Chrome, or if this is an issue with only certain computers.

From what I can tell the avatar editor takes a heavy load on a computers CPU, and as a result the chrome issues follow.

Expected Behavior

The expected functionality would be for the avatar editor to run smoothly, and responsively; wouldn’t expect the avatar editor to be so intensive on the computers graphics.

Actual Behavior

If you’re on the avatar editor page, your chrome will begin to lag, to a point where it’s unresponsive, you cannot change tabs, or the alike. Chrome itself will eventually stop responding. I’m unaware at this time if it works on other browsers, or if only particular devices have this issue.

Overall the CPU usage of Chrome goes up to an unreasonable amount, causing Chrome to stop responding and crashing.

Uploading: OxBoqh6.png…
(Image Mirror: https://i.imgur.com/OxBoqh6.png)

Issue Area: Roblox Website
Page URL: Roblox
Impact: Moderate
Frequency: Constantly

14 Likes

Note: It only crashes Chrome and not the game engine.
Appears most frequently when changing the whole bundle.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed this happening when the 3D preview is enabled with layered clothing being worn by my avatar.

2 Likes

Have you disabled Hardware Acceleration? I’m on Microsoft Edge (basically the same thing) and when I disable Hardware Acceleration, the 3D avatar preview becomes extremely laggy and I experience a spike in CPU usage. Otherwise if I have it on it works just fine.

Hi thanks for the report and sorry for the late response. Are you still experiencing this issue? I wasn’t able to reproduce this on my side.

1 Like

I am still experiencing the issue

This issue is still prominent, as someone mentioned, seems to have to do with hardware acceleration on certain browsers.

Apolgoies for the bump, but I have relevant information for this issue.

This issue only set in for me after switching from a 4th generation Intel to a Zen 3 Ryzen processor - the main difference being that the aforementioned Ryzen processor does not have any any dedicated video and rendering hardware (whereas the intel processor had an iGPU).

Enabling hardware accleration did fix it for me, but hardware accleration allows chrome to offload the rendering from my CPU (ryzen) to my GPU (nvidia dedicated). Maybe try experimenting with different system configurations to reproduce?

Google Chrome ships with hardware acceleration disabled by default.

This issue starts to happening to me now, but instead of causing my chrome to lag/crash, it causes my laptop to slow down and makes everything delayed when i try to do something.

This issue only happens to me on chrome, I tried turning off memory saver and energy saver in google settings but still happens. Huh

1 Like

Now when I go on someones profile it causes my laptop to perform slower and it makes my taskbar disappear in while im in a roblox game.

1 Like

The cause is when you change your hardware acceleration on chrome, etc…

ok it doesnt happen anymore :+1: