Website randomly showing as offline

I am randomly getting the offline page for the website.
It only does this on Waterfox, but I can switch to Internet explorer, and it will work just fine.

Examples: They were both ran within less than 10 seconds from each other. And the offline still happened on roblox.

Waterfox:

Internet explorer

It is also random, and doesn’t seem to stick to any pattern. I’ll just be browsing the website just fine, and it will go offline.

Anyone else experiencing this?

I’ll do a full analysis once it does it again using the developer console, see if it is javascript or something. I’ll also get the DNS if needed.

I noticed this on a page I loaded when I first started up my browser at like 2:30pm EST, otherwise I haven’t been browsing the roblox website much today to know if it might happen again.

An update: Some of the ads like to show the offline page as well.

This is an ad shown on the side of the forums:

Edit:
I recorded the requests with the developer console, and it appears this request is shown, which is related to the offline thing:

http://www.opstest1.robloxlabs.com/Login/FulfillConstraint.aspx?ReturnUrl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.opstest1.robloxlabs.com%2fuserads%2f2

Sounds like it could be a client-side dns caching issue, or a (few) webserver(s) in an inconsistent configuration.

Can you ping both www.roblox.com and opstest1.robloxlabs.com and let me know the results?

You can try flushing your dns cache, but I believe that browsers cache their own dns results. Still, if you want to give it a shot:

[ol]
[li]Open Command Prompt.[/li]
[li]Type: ipconfig /flushdns[/li]
[/ol]

this happened to my friend but in studio

Tell him to try what ostrichSized posted.

This is happening to my friend as well. He is able to load the direct IP address I got from “ping www.roblox.com” but any attempt to access roblox.com leads him to opstest1.robloxlabs.com instead. ipconfig /flushdns didn’t work for him. He uses Chrome, as do I. I am not having any problems, but I don’t visit test sites often.

Update: Studio works fine at browsing the site for him, and clearing his DNS cache in Chrome didn’t work.

[quote] Sounds like it could be a client-side dns caching issue, or a (few) webserver(s) in an inconsistent configuration.

Can you ping both www.roblox.com and opstest1.robloxlabs.com and let me know the results?

You can try flushing your dns cache, but I believe that browsers cache their own dns results. Still, if you want to give it a shot:

[ol]
[li]Open Command Prompt.[/li]
[li]Type: ipconfig /flushdns[/li]
[/ol] [/quote]
ping www.roblox.com

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
© 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Semaphorism>ping www.roblox.com

Pinging www.roblox.com [209.15.14.21] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 209.15.14.21: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=246
Reply from 209.15.14.21: bytes=32 time=30ms TTL=246
Reply from 209.15.14.21: bytes=32 time=34ms TTL=246
Reply from 209.15.14.21: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=246

Ping statistics for 209.15.14.21:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 28ms, Maximum = 34ms, Average = 30ms

ping opstest1.robloxlabs.com

Pinging www.opstest1.robloxlabs.com [8.42.96.25] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 8.42.96.25: bytes=32 time=47ms TTL=243
Reply from 8.42.96.25: bytes=32 time=46ms TTL=243

Ping statistics for 8.42.96.25:
Minimum = 46ms, Maximum = 47ms, Average = 46ms

I tried ipconfig /flushdns, didn’t change anything, still getting the random offline ads.

Then the website appeared as offline again, and it showed this when I pinged it again, same Ip as the offline page, and yet, it was just working perfectly using the 209 ip.

ping www.roblox.com

Pinging www.roblox.com [8.42.96.25] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 8.42.96.25: bytes=32 time=49ms TTL=243
Reply from 8.42.96.25: bytes=32 time=49ms TTL=243

Ping statistics for 8.42.96.25:
Minimum = 47ms, Maximum = 49ms, Average = 48ms

It only does this on my laptop as well, works perfectly fine on my desktop. I use the same browser on both, same operating system.

Adding this line

www.roblox.com www.opstest1.robloxlabs.com

Into C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file fixed it for me. But still doesn’t explain why it was doing this. Only happens on waterfox browser, which is 64bit version of firefox. I even got a plugin to clear the browsers DNS, and windows DNS cache.

Edit: Apperently, I am still getting it on ads.
And is it normal to get this many requests to it each page?

Edit 2:
I think I fixed the main pages from doing that on Waterfox, but now chrome is always doing it.

Edit 3:
Changing my hosts file to this fixed it completely.

209.15.14.21 www.roblox.com
www.roblox.com www.opstest1.robloxlabs.com
www.roblox.com opstest1.robloxlabs.com