Weird Rope Constraint Bug Crashing Servers

Some weeks ago, I was playing one of my games until it crashed unexpectedly. Let me try to explain what was going on before it crashed because this is very strange. So I had a part that was welded to my avatar. That part was attached to a heavier part by a rope constraint. I then set my WalkSpeed to something like 1000. I then had my avatar run all around in random directions changing my directions when I came to a cliff or wall. It only took something like 30 seconds until the game crashed. I’ve been able to constantly repeat this process to crash the server and the amount of time it takes to crash the server varies. I’ve created a Roblox level file that lets you crash the game by just running around. The game will attach the parts I was talking about to your avatar when you hit play. All you have to do is run around for awhile and the game will crash. When I run this level, It usually only takes about 5 seconds for the game to crash. Sometimes it takes a couple of minutes.

The Roblox level:
RunAroundToCrashTheGame.rbxl (13.5 KB)

Capture274

You can’t crash the game using the play button. Use this:
Capture276

I’ve only added two lines of code that are ran once in this level. This is why I think the rope constraint has something to do with the game crashing.

Am really anxious to fix this. Many players in my game have noticed this bug. But the big issue for me is that some players have been using this bug to crash servers.

I really hope this problem can be resolved. I’ll try and help any way that I can if its needed.

One last thing, you might be wondering why this bug matters or how will someone find themselves in this strange situation. Well… In my game, having something stuck in your head attached to something else by a rope is just normal. And I don’t want to explain how you get here in the game. Because then I would be teaching people how to crash my game. And that would be… bad.

2 Likes

I find the server abruptly closes the instant the player lands on top of the heavy cube. You can run around as much as you want, even touch the cube, but the server will die instantly if you stand on the cube. You can also see some really bizarre replication behavior on the server regarding the cube’s position.

The “crash” you see after 5 seconds is simply your client realizing the server no longer exists and disconnecting.

1 Like

Thanks for this report. This seems to have to do with the new Networked Platforms code from a few months ago. For some reason your character thinks it is it’s own platform, which causes the code to go into an infinite loop until crash.

Looking at this now.

3 Likes

Got a fix. Will take ~2 weeks to roll out.

3 Likes

The specific case of this bug I mentioned about a month ago seems to be fixed. Which is great! But apparently there is still a way to crash the game. If your on top of the heavy block when the smaller block is welded to you, the game will still crash. Here is a Roblox level I made which can replicate the bug:

CrashingTheGame2-ReturnOfTheConstraintBug!.rbxl (14.1 KB)

Try it out by going to Test->Start. Then just avoid touching your keyboard and wait 12 seconds for the game to crash.

1 Like

I’ve ran into another case where the server crashes due to a rope constraint. Below you will find the roblox level file where this can be reproduced.

CrashingTheGamePart3-TheUnexpectedReturnOfTheConstraintBug!.rbxl (22.8 KB)

To crash the server go to Test->Start. Once again avoid touching your keyboard and wait at least 30 seconds for the game to crash. This time it might take a couple of runs for the server to crash. No idea why but sometimes it takes a couple of runs for this bug to take place. Once again this is negatively affecting a game I’m working on and I hope it can get looked into soon.

Something to note:
Once a small amount of time after the part is welded into your character’s head has passed, your avatar will be morphed into a funky giant. About 12 seconds after that, your client will be disconnected.

(Picture demonstrating above)

1 Like

Holy late response. How did I miss this?

I was able to track down the bug thanks to your repro. Getting a fix in now, should be out in ~2 weeks.

2 Likes

Okay I just released an update that fixes the crash/lockup from the latest repro you provided. The new behavior is that your character just Marry-Poppin’s away. That has to do with the rope being a bit tight and causing the character to apply a force upwards forever.

1 Like

Hi Khanovich did this fix change any of the other constraints behaviors? For some reason my plane that used to retract its gears using constraints fails to do so anymore, might be a temp roblox bug tho.

No changes to constraint simulation at all.

Wierd all of a sudden my plane fails to replicated engine spinning or gears going up today. Its most likely something then changed in the network ownership api.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.