Welcoming Byfron to Roblox

Like others have said: I am nervous about this.

At RDC, I spoke to some engineers about this topic. They said the focus will be on server-side exploit detection, not client-side. With that said, even with the launch of the Steam Deck, they said they would be willing to kill Linux functionality if it meant catching more exploiters. I don’t envision this would affect Roblox Studio, but would bring us back to 2019 when Studio was fine and the client failed to work. Unless a Linux client comes out (which I have heard has been done internally for Studio but never validated or released), I don’t see Linux being viable for Roblox developers anymore. Not unless you want to pull a SomeOrdinaryGamers and start using virtual machines with hardware passthrough.

34 Likes

Writing code that makes things happen based on frame rate is bad coding practice, i see no reason why roblox would change their view on fps unlockers being fine to use becuase of this new anticheat team they are hiring.

7 Likes

Love that we’re going to get an anti-cheat on the platform! However, as others have said - please do not break Roblox on Linux! Even if this means preloading an extra Roblox specific file on the Linux side, as other popular games have done with anti-cheat on Wine. Forcing Linux users to use VMs (which some anti-cheats reject as well…) would get me and many others off the platform.

15 Likes

Will the new anti-cheat also address DDOS (Panels) attacks?

1 Like

Most definitely a great plan to secure the platform from the bad actors. I hope us developers gets the option to switch some of the anti-cheat elements. Because if we don’t, the players will be marked as a false positive and the developer cannot do anything to fix it.

2 Likes

actually, apex legends and fortnite use it

1 Like

Is there going to be API for this??

2 Likes

I’m forced to use Roblox on Windows because of the bad Linux support. If Roblox was native to Linux, I can ditch Windows.

9 Likes

Good to hear that ROBLOX is patching things like this, but will this also include the map stealing option from SynapseX?

4 Likes

Took only 16 years for roblox to do more than just toggle a switch to secure games.
It’s great that you guys are finally investing into security instead of just ignoring it.

5 Likes

Roblox can run around the same or even better than on Windows (with DXVK) - it just requires a bunch of tweaking.

2 Likes

Great news for Roblox. We will see how it goes with time. Hoping for the best!

2 Likes

While I’m skeptical about this, I’m still looking forward to this update and what it can bring! Glad to see Roblox took notice.

1 Like

Hopefully they make something better than the Hyperion anticheat…

6 Likes

Will we have to install another application in order to get the anti cheat or will it be built into the Roblox player itself? Like the competitive platform faceit, you have to install an anti cheat in order to have custom competitive matches.

3 Likes

not a good ideea for those who used public wifis (school wifi, coffee wifi, pizzeria wifi, etc)

12 Likes

This looks like a good idea to put exploits to be extinct! I hope it will fix the exploiting problem roblox had since the earlier days.

What if we have alt accounts for testing/asset storage purposes?

7 Likes

Will this be customizable and toggleable

1 Like

damn a rare roblox W??? no more script kiddies???

3 Likes