Welcoming Byfron to Roblox

I’m a bit concerned that it will make Roblox heavier to run on low end devices.
I’m also very concerned that Roblox won’t work anymore on Linux with Grapejuice anymore because of the anticheat.

31 Likes

Byfron has three employees and released their first and only anti-cheat solution, Hyperion, this year. Can you let us know how exactly you are certain that this an effective investment?

11 Likes

How are you gonna handle FPS unlockers and using Roblox on Linux?
I don’t want to be forced off of the platform, and worse, forced to play at a 60fps cap while Synapse X updates end up being delayed by about 30 minutes longer than average.

36 Likes

As of now an exploiter can do whatever they wish on the client-side of the game.

Let’s say you try to kick them via a local script, they can simply just hook your kick function and make it return nil or math.huge or really anything.

They have access to lots of stuff that can basically destroy your game if you don’t protect it, especially your remotes. (please sanitize your remotes developers)

Anyways my question is, how is Byfron going to prevent exploiters from doing stuff like this?

8 Likes

A few questions:

1. Does this mean we will no longer need to make our own anti-cheats?
  2. What will be different for us when the anti-cheat is integrated?
  3. What kind of client-sided and Server-sided anti-cheats are going to be provided?
  4. What will the anti-cheat do when it detects an exploiter?
  5. How will the anti-cheat handle false positives?
  1. Does the roadmap include giving developers the ability to ban people from our game without having to make your own system? (Maybe something called BanService)

2. Will the exploiters caught by the anti-cheat by IP Banned, banned from only our game, or something else?

16 Likes

Anything being tied to framerate has been a garbage practice in the entire gaming industry, and roblox hasnt punished users for fps unlockers

Doesn’t make a lot of sense to start doing it now

18 Likes

Interesting! It’s be cool to know if this would add to the Roblox Lua library, or if it would be togglable in game settings. Nevertheless, excited to see where this leads.

2 Likes

Please don’t go after Roblox on Linux. I rely on running Roblox under WINE and Grapejuice to use it on Linux, and others do as well.

If Roblox on Linux is a casualty of this update, could you add official Linux support? If the new universal Roblox app is meant to be deployed everywhere, surely that could include Linux? I know distro compatibility is an issue, but maybe you could do some AppImage magic?

41 Likes

(post deleted by author​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​)

15 Likes

I’m pretty sure Roblox knows about this, although not 100% sure considering how they tried to push the deferred events update some time ago.

2 Likes

Good news! But let linux players play on roblox with wine please.

21 Likes

It depends on the game, maybe just add a panel to disable or enable features you don’t need to use on your games?

3 Likes

I don’t want to be in the same cat and mouse game exploiters play. I don’t think anyone else who is just trying to work on games does either.

4 Likes

Hear me out, hear me out, what if… what if Roblox released a Linux client?

No need to support Wine is an opportunity for security improvement.

17 Likes

Right, and Fortnite definitely has a good anticheat…

4 Likes

There is grapejuice! Grapejuice - Install Wine

10 Likes

yes but lot of anti cheat detect wine like a cheat.

5 Likes

Yes, I know. I mean a fully native Roblox client for Linux.

It’s been years since Roblox mentioned Linux support and all of their arguments against it are basically invalid nowadays.

9 Likes

Comparatively, I would argue it does. Of course, there is no such thing as perfect “anti-cheat” and anyone here who expects that shouldn’t. I was simply stating that the team at Byfron has experience and isn’t a random anti-cheat company as many people believe.

7 Likes

oops sorry I read too fast. I don’t think roblox took so much effort for 500k players x)

2 Likes