Westeros

King’s Landing imported from Minecraft using our nigh-infinite terrain.

I asked, and our Minecraft importer right now depends on ROBLOX internals, so we can’t release it. I’m willing to offer Lifetime OBC to anyone who builds and releases a minecraft importer program that the average builder can figure out how to use.

1 Like

Goodbye, sleep. I’ll do my best to have it done by tonight.

I made a version that is uncopylocked and also where everyone starts with wings.

1 Like

Time to start modding again.

BRB downloading Forge

[quote] our Minecraft importer right now depends on ROBLOX internals, so we can’t release it.
Giving to anyone who builds and releases a minecraft importer program that the average builder can figure out how to use. [/quote]

There is minecraft -> .obj (3rd party) and .obj -> roblox (a user made plugin) but we’d have to edit the plugin for Terrain. Is that acceptable?

[quote] our Minecraft importer right now depends on ROBLOX internals, so we can’t release it.
Giving to anyone who builds and releases a minecraft importer program that the average builder can figure out how to use. [/quote]

There is minecraft -> .obj (3rd party) and .obj -> roblox (a user made plugin) but we’d have to edit the plugin for Terrain. Is that acceptable?[/quote]

Already tried it, what I tried didn’t work :frowning:

Hmm, witch file format to convert? Newer “Anvil” format or older format?

@Mael that would be an awful way to go about it. Definitely want to take the Voxel data direct from Minecraft and convert it directly to some sort of terrain format.

How is the prize handed out? First, best, all?

The best way I can think to do it is to turn MC voxel data into lua commands that recreate it in ROBLOX.

So the output of the converter is a script that you run once. This script may be huge and cleverness may be required to shrink it. It will almost certainly take a long time for this script to run, since interop is so slow.

1 Like

Hmm. If I had time to figure out the anvil format, I could make something that converts the minecraft terrain to a binary string compatible with the terrain save/load system I use in ZDale (RLE compression FTW!). Then you could, say, copy/paste it into a script in studio and run a plugin on it. However, I am lacking in time and motivation, so that’s unlikely to happen.

well

I’m already working on it in Java - it’ll be cross-platform, so yaay! :smiley:

I think the absolute best way would be to convert it directly to RBXL(X) format. Might be difficult to get it efficient otherwise given the sheer amount of Lua commands needed.

Obviously that would require more info about the Terrain and RBXL formats. nudge

How exactly does it use “roblox internals”?

It would be nice to have more terrain types for this. :smiley:

Cool. Looks like this is going to be done in-game via a plugin (rather, I think, a script).

I’m wondering how messy this is going to end up being.

Edit: Looks like making this is worth more than just OBC. Looks like the biggest pain ever.

[quote] Cool. Looks like this is going to be done in-game via a plugin (rather, I think, a script).

I’m wondering how messy this is going to end up being.

Edit: Looks like making this is worth more than just OBC. Looks like the biggest pain ever. [/quote]

Yeah, since minecraft has it’s own save system, you gotta get modding tools, read source, find how it’s encoded, make software, that decrypts saves and transforms data into script, that you can execute. Since I’m not into minecraft modding, idk if it’s worth it. I rather try to make game on roblox.

[quote]

Yeah, since minecraft has it’s own save system, you gotta get modding tools, read source, find how it’s encoded, make software, that decrypts saves and transforms data into script, that you can execute. Since I’m not into minecraft modding, idk if it’s worth it. I rather try to make game on roblox. [/quote]
What I’m doing is decompressing the file, converting it into a table, reading the data, and then giving up, because I don’t understand what to do past that.

To clarify this though, we only need to convert into VoxelTerrain, and we can ignore / make allowances for stuff like tables, chairs, brewery, et cetera?

or do you want those in ROBLOX stamper parts?

Edit: Yeah, as far as OBC, I really want this, because it frees me up to publish all my games, not just 5. On the other hand, well, this is hard, and I may be better off helping people to get it, or just earning enough ROBUX. And before 'yall yell at me to just buy it, well, I’m just going to say, that doesn’t work for me.

I’ve pretty much finished my C++ converter, I just need another day to define some of the blocks (will probably have to use parts because of limited terrain materials) and wrap a win32 (and maybe mac) gui around it.

I think that Westeros place is perhaps one of the most clear examples for Roblox’s need for a far more varied set of terrain textures.