"Wet Surface" Reflection effect

Testing a scripted wet surface effect that uses water terrain tools to make the ground and other objects look wet and reflective.
It’s still a little messy, but it’s something I’ve been putting time into from time to time.

Check it out here

Thoughts?

20 Likes

Looks amazing and well made, do you have any plans on making this open sourced?

2 Likes

Maybe, when I clean it up and optimize it a bit

2 Likes

It’s really nice. However, I feel like the lamp posts’ lighting is ruining the feel of it. Overall, I like the theme of the game and the reflection really fits in. Reminds me of the Hardboiled City from Egg Hunt 2018, which was epic.

4 Likes

Yeah, I was a bit uncertain on the lighting. I’m still figuring it out. I was aiming for some Spiderman PS2/LA Noire vibes.

1 Like

well done but why you make this game… it is because the project you gonna use or…
let it be, tell me why you make this in the first place :grey_question: :question: :thinking:

2 Likes

oh,I just had the idea to do it, no other reason lol

2 Likes

Oh okay then, do the best and make your dream come true

2 Likes

Looks nice, however, this was first done a while ago by @TheShipArchitect , still an awesome effect tho :slightly_smiling_face:

Here’s an example of me using it from a few weeks ago:

5 Likes

Is it water and a basepart? Looks simple to do

1 Like

It is, you just dial down the texture and part transparency, it’s nothing too complicated.

1 Like

The way I did it was that I wrote a script which drew a ray from a part above the map, and placed water above each part. Voxels are 4x4 however, so all the parts in the map are 4x their normal scale. It’s nothing too fancy though, took me 30 minutes. Ship’s example is a lot more detailed.

1 Like

Neat!. I’ve got a lot of stuff like this I’ve made over the years but I don’t want to spam the thread. I might put it together in one big, fully fleshed out game, so stay tuned! :grin:

1 Like

I’ve made an example of “wet floor” effect.

Feel free to take a copy.

1 Like

So, you placed a transparent part on water?

2 Likes

And edited some of properties for terrain and lighting. Also added some effects on lighting.

1 Like

Again, my example isn’t a transparent part on water. The water is scripted to be placed inches above a resized part.

as you can see here, the water flows on top of each part. To clarify, the whole idea here is to create a system that will work in any map setting without having to fine-tune it or make the water yourself.

The water can also be seen on a vertical object - seen here reflecting a lamppost. This is a feature I plan on improving:

4 Likes

this is gonna be a great touch to all the “realistic showcases” doesn’t even look like Roblox anymore… you did a fantastic job!

3 Likes

Looks amazing keep it up I hope to see more stuff like this on Roblox

2 Likes

You can also get glass and put it over the material, and it makes it look wet. But overall great job.

2 Likes