What’s the best horror lighting?

I’m looking to add realistic horror lighting to a game I made, it’s basically a slaughter house run by a statistic psychopath with super effective technology and systems.

The lighting would be used to highlight important imagery and light the whole place while not being too bright.

What’s the best way/settings of doing that?

9 Likes

Roblox recently released the Future is Bright phase 3 lighting, which is really exciting. The lighting currently only works in studio, but hopefully it’ll go live for the client soon. (It’s in beta currently but hopefully released in December or early 2021 I recommend using that lighting as it’s very attractive. The outside should just be night time of course and turning the brightness down to 1. If you’re good at UI, you could add smudges to the player’s screen to make is seem darker/creepier.

Here’s a video of an abandoned facility which you could count as a horror map if you’d like. Dark corners and flickering lights is the most ideal imo. At the same time, the lighting settings may vary a lot depending on your build style and realism. If you want to put the cherry on top, try putting a slight blur to the lighting.

4 Likes

Does that mean anyone who is currently enrolled in the beta program has access to it?

You don’t have to enroll into the beta program, you just have to enable the beta feature in your studio settings. Then in the “lighting” section you can change the lighting from either voxel or shadowmap to Future.

You don’t even need to enable a beta feature, just select Lighting.Technology “Future”.

1 Like

well if its suppose to be a slaughter house broken down industrial lighting would be good, those little construction lights stuck around would make it seem like a diy repair on the owners part aswell as some lamps over “work” stations

What color lights do you think would work well?

well mostly white but maybe a bit of soft yellow for larger lights

I believe future lighting only works in studio not in the actually game. Don’t quote me on that.

1 Like

Yes you are correct on that.

That’s why I said it’s in beta and hopefully release/launch will be in december or early 2021.

Yes I know, but you didn’t say specifically it isn’t going to work “right now”. So I want to clarify that.

If you have the studio set to Future lighting and publish the game to ROBLOX, what do players see the lighting as?

It’s only available within studio currently, so if you join the actual game, it’ll revert to Shadowmap lighting I believe. But yes, the future lighting will save in studio.

i would make diffused desaturated green-ish lights, on the top, or red lights from the bottom