What app do you use to make UI, Game Icons and Thumbnails

Hello I would like to see what app do you use on making UI, Game Icons and Thumbnails for your games, personally for me, I use Photoshop to make my Game Icons and Studio for the main UI for my games

Pictures

3 Likes

It really depends on what type of icon you are going for. Photoshop is great for creating icons similar to what you created, especially when combined with renders from software like blender. If you’re looking to create vector icons however, Inkscape is a really great option.

3 Likes

I use Photopea.
But I don’t recommend changing to Photopea because you have Adobe Photoshop.(BTW which photoshop version are you using.)

Some people use Lunacy and Figma.
But I would recommend Lunacy. Figma has quite a bit of Energy consumption.

If you are using Adobe Photoshop CC or Photopea here is a youtube channel that I recommend to you -

They have loads of GUI tutorials, GFX tutorials and game logo/thumbnail tutorials.

I heavily recommend you to stick to Photoshop

2 Likes

Nice recommendation but I’m not exactly sure what version of Photoshop am I using, but I’m sure it’s around CC 2018 - 2020

1 Like

Oh tnx for that recommendation, I really wanted to make vector icons for my games like the settings icon, thank you for recommending me that app

1 Like

Depends, if you’re trying to find free open source applications I would try researching and looking into a variety of programs I’ll try experimenting into using (Gimp, Krita, and more) choose to your own liking.

There are a variety of programs to choose from, if you’re into making ui thumbnails or pay alternatives you could use adobe illustrator, gimp and illustrator programs (Photoshop) isn’t the best option since there are numerous of free alternative programs that can do similar things as payed ones provide you with.

‘Gimp Inkscape’; are free for creating these known options if your into vector icon thumbnails and more I’ll try looking into vector application, pick one that you feel comfortable learning.

Usually I have to use paint.net to make my thumbnails and icons, which works pretty well for free software.

I was able to make things like this:

With just paint.net. If you plan on drawing, use FireAlpaca, its made for japanese drawers but they release english translations, and its also free ! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

In my opinion the best app is ‘pixlr.com’ It’s free and it makes quite well made UI, Game Icons, thumbnails… etc…

4 Likes

I’d give a good reply, but you’re using Photoshop.
For some reason in this icon, it looks like you’re using literal paint. (No offense)
Paint . net is great for outlining, plugins, and way more. I draw all of my art in paint . net and it looks just fine. BUT, it doesn’t mean photoshop is worse. I don’t use Photoshop myself, so I don’t know if it has plugins. If it does, you can make a way more stylish thumbnail then THAT (again, no offense)

This is the worst reply ever, but hope it can help a bit!

1 Like

That looks cool! I might try using pixlr lol

1 Like

Pixlr basically is free Photoshop. :smile:

3 Likes

I use figma.com I like it because it is free and compatible with mobile devices. It is easy to use and I can make my logos more quickly :yum:

2 Likes